How do I make a menu to include text files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 25th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #1
New Boot

How do I make a menu to include text files?

Hi,
I made a short product demo video for a client and they asked me to add a few text files on a menu for the promotional CD. I've only made DVD menus in ULEAD but I have Encore now. If I make a simple menu that will have 4 buttons - one for video demo and three for the text files, can I get these "text" buttons to activate Acrobat and open the pdf files? How do people normally author a CD that mixes video and text files. Oh, one text file is 17 pages so they are not small 1 page files.
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Simple answer - don't do it on DVD.

Complicated answer - you can do it on a DVD by using something like eDVD (from Sonic), or DVD@ccess. These, by means of clever jiggery-pokery, permit web links from the DVD player to be displayed. It's all a bit of a kluge, a pain to implement, and not very comforable to use.

I would create a CD, using Flash or Director to implement the interactivity. At a pinch I think you could do it in Powerpoint.

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Julian. I actually found a quite simple solution called FastMenu...

http://www.pollensoftware.com/autorun/index.html

Basic menu but looks good and worked like a charm. Burned them on wallet CDs. The same company also has more complex menu software that I might try next. If anyone has expereince with their other products please let us know.
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Major Player

If you choose to do it on CD you should check out multimediabuilder it is a great CD tool and lets you do a HUGE amount of things on CD for $50. I use it for demo CD's all the time.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video