Flash video progressive download at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old September 11th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Flash video progressive download

I have a 2 min. video encoded in flash (flkv/swf) format with Sorenson Squeeze 4 and the Spark Pro codec.
It looks very good but doesn't play in the browser before the clip is completely downloaded.. even if it is supposed to act just like Quicktime progressive download video files.

Anyone who knows what could be reason for that?
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #2
Tourist

It sounds like you have 'embedded' the flv file into your swf file. If this is the case, it will as you've stated download the whole file before playing.

(assuming your using Flash MX Pro 2004)
you should drag the MediaPlayback component from the components panel to the stage, and set it to the size you require...
then in the 'components inspector' panel type the relative URL to your FLV movie, and set the other parameters...
I've had wicked results with this and even the default MediaPlayback component looks groovy!

Note your users will have to have the flashplayer 7 plugin (I think... or at least 6) to view a progressive flv.
There is loads of stuff on the macromedia site about flash video, check out the technotes www.macromedia.com
Deborah Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 10:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Bjørn
Streaming Movie with Flash.

There are two ways of doing it.
First you embed the file into flash directly The problem is that the in order to watch the movie you have to download the hole thing. This will take a lot of time and after a minute sound and video get out of sync.
The best way is to link the movie to a flash event.
You upload the file directly to you web server. No messing with the flash file itself. I use .mov format on the net.
If the user uses the Microsoft player, It will start to play the movie on the spot , buffering the rest.
I use this all the time and it works great. The Best thing is the fact Video and sound is never out of sync.

Hope this is some help

Stephan
Stephan Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 02:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Stephan.

I started this thread about two weeks ago. In the meantime I have found the answer myself.. I now use Sorenson Squeeze 4 to encode my movies to flv.format which I then play with a Media Component. It works perfect and is very easy to set up. Squeeze is doing a good job.
The big advantage with flash is that it plays instantly on both mac and pc (with Flash Player 7). Why use .mov format ??
Old December 27th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sorenson Squeeze 4

Hello Bjorn,

Does Squeeze 4 have the option of setting different frame rates? I am looking specifically for 60 frames per second.

Thanks in advance.

Alan Van Vliet
Alan Van Vliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Squeeze 4

Bjorn,

Sorry, that should have read 60 frames per minute.

Al
Old January 9th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry again, I was right the first time. Doesn't happen very often.

60 frames per second is what I am looking for.

Regards, AL
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hello,

Just got Flash MX Pro. I have QT clips at my site and would like to add Flash clips.

Has anyone imported uncompressed FCP movies, used the Sorenson Spark codec in Flash Pro to compress and outputted .flv or .swf clips? The Flash ‘How do I’ has got me a bit discombobulated. Clips will be 2-7 minutes.

Any opinions, hints or tips would be highly appreciated.

All the best,
elmer lang

http://elmerlang.com
QT clips at: http://elmerlang.com/H2EclipsM.html
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video