Encore problem w/ credits at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #1
Donald Lee

Encore problem w/ credits

I have a short movie edited in Premiere Pro & exported as an avi file. When I import it as an asset into Encore and preview it, the first set of credits at the end of movie gets chopped off. The problem is the same when I view it in the timeline. Has anyone seen this problem before?

The movie has the last scene, goes to black, then shows the cast credits, the director credit, and the remaining credits. Everything looks fine except the cast credits flash for a fraction of a second and the rest looks ok. Maybe it has something to do w/ going to black?
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:46 AM   #2
Trustee

I've never seen that before. No, fading to black shouldn't have anything to do with the problem. Have you tried exporting/importing a new avi? (Make sure to save it with a different name than the first to avoid confusing Encore DVD.)
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #3
Donald Lee

I played w/ it some more & I agree, the black isn't causing anything (ie. I removed it). I stepped through the timeline frame by frame & it looks ok; but when it plays realtime the first credit flashes and the 2nd credit stays up longer. The extra length of the 2nd credit is the amount of time the 1st should've stayed up. It seems like a bug. The avi plays fine on the Windows Media Player.
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Trustee

Interesting. I guess the second step would be to make a DVD and see how it turns out.

In the future you can avoid the intermediate avi step by exporting from within Premiere Pro to MPEG-2. Both Encore DVD and Premiere Pro use the MainConcept encoder, so you will get the same quality.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I experienced the same problem once with Premiere Pro 1.5.

I suggest you export everything before your credits as an avi file. Do the same with your credits only.
Then make a new project in Premiere and import those 2 avi files.
Export this again to a new avi file. And import this final avi file to Encore.

This is how I solved the problem.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, I had that same exact problem and have not been able to get around it. In the AVI the credits show perfectly, but in Encore they just flash up and go away. I never fixed it.

Someone here had suggested that I output the MPEG 2 file directly from Premiere instead of having Encore do the transcoding... sounds good, but I haven't done it yet.

Come back and tell us if you find a solution.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Hey! I exported to MPEG2 directly from Premiere and then imported into Encore and it worked! I guess Premiere does a better job of transcoding than Encore. Thanks guys for your help and suggestions. I keep saying, "This is a great web site." :)
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #8
Major Player

i was having this same problem a few month ago with a warning title at the beginning... i finally figured out i could make it an .avi file then set that warning as "first play" and it worked... but the MPEG2 idea is great! i had never thought of that!
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #9
New Boot

My input: I always export clips to MPEG2 then import into Encore. Encore sees these clips as already encoded and does not have to do it.

That is my experiance..

http://www.donkeyworx.net
Val Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #10
Major Player

is there still the transcoding process??? i assume theres no way in getting around that.
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

There is a known bug where Encore does this sort of stuff when the "optimize stills" box is checked in the Premiere Export dialogue. Always turn that off before export if you plan on going into Encore.
Adam Kampia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #12
Major Player

didnt know that! what exactly does the "optimize stills" function do?
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm not entirely sure either. I just know I never use it and don't need it.

I think it might just be a render speed-up thing like the unchecking the "recompress" box in the Premiere make movie dialogue. It might just do some sort of straight copy of a still image (one that would not need rendering) rather than render it frame by frame.
Adam Kampia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Dulock
didnt know that! what exactly does the "optimize stills" function do?
yeah, I ran across this problem not too long ago and it drove me NUTZ! What "optimize stills" does (from what I understand) is use a feature in the DV codec that allows it to render the first frame of a "still" then put a flag in folling frames to "hold previous frame". This allows the final rendered video to be smaller since you're not rendering the still every frame... but the downside is you get this wierd behaviour. HD space is cheap! I always turn it off now, it's not worth the insanity!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video