DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Video Podcast Advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/478398-video-podcast-advice.html)

Ryan Farnes May 9th, 2010 11:44 PM

Video Podcast Advice

I have been more and more firmly deciding to start a small video podcast about "Maryland Wilderness." It would involve the wildlife, plant life, geology, watershed, etc...basically just a natural history video podcast of 5 minutes or less with an episode being released perhaps every other week. A few months ago I first came across "Earth Touch," an HD video podcast available in a couple of different forms on iTunes (and elsewhere?) and it has inspired me to do a video podcast of my own. It is narrated by the cameramen themselves and so I plan to follow the same model where I do my own research and just informally talk about the footage that I have shot.

I'm very experienced with all the technical aspects involved except for the actual web hosting, which my web developer Brother will assist me in navigating.

What I'm wondering is how many of you currently subscribe to video podcasts about natural history subject matter?

Anybody else currently doing anything similar? Any thoughts on pitfalls to avoid? (i.e. too regular a schedule which is easy to fall behind on, difficulties in publicizing the podcast itself...?)

Sam Mendolia May 10th, 2010 08:03 PM

Ryan,

I for one would love view your video podcast.
I regularly listen to, and download, for later listening, audio podcasts, from Naturescapes, they do one a month, on various topics, in the still photography arena.
I will have to now find Earth Touch.....

I will keep an eye out for your endeavour.

Sam

Ryan Farnes May 11th, 2010 01:23 AM

Earth-Touch.com | Home

It is truly amazing how much free 720p content they just give away. 1st class images and narration by the cameramen/"naturalists" themselves. Very cool system they have going.

I am wondering if instead of a podcast, I should first get into a rhythm of just producing episodes and putting them on Vimeo and then let their success determine if I make it a more serious podcasting venture. I'm hesitant to start something that might end in a few months if I'm unable to keep pace. We'll see I suppose. I'm not interested in any sort of monetary aspect, instead, I just want to build my reel and experience, and along the way, enlighten people about wildlife in Maryland here in the USA and perhaps even get schools here to somehow use the content if I put enough together over time.

Chris Hurd May 11th, 2010 01:39 AM

Hi Ryan, this has more to do with Web Video than it does with wildlife videography,
so I've moved this thread to the correct forum and left a re-direct to it from UWOL.

David Rice May 11th, 2010 09:05 AM

I am in the process of promoting the unique nature/wildlife of my community Sitka Alaska. I have uploaded over 65 shorts on my Vimeo Channel at:Sitka Alaska Video on Vimeo. I plan to upload hundreds more.

I also created a Blog at: sitkaalaskavideo.blogspot.

I am giving away my material free.

Dave

Ryan Farnes May 11th, 2010 11:50 PM

David, that is very cool. Thanks for the info. I remember hearing about you talking about wanting to promote Sitka through videos and/or a website.

I may go that route...is creating a Vimeo channel difficult at all?

David Rice May 12th, 2010 05:39 AM

Vimeo makes it easy. I have a neurological disease that effects my physical and mental abilities. I have tried for five years to learn to make a web site. My brains just don't work that well anymore. But, I found Vimeo very easy. Unlike Youtube, Vimeo has a following of people who enjoy quality over nonsense. If you have the ability, or have the money to pay someone, I do believe you need a quality web site. Neither of which I have.

dave