Apple FCS to WMV8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 13th, 2010, 04:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Apple FCS to WMV8

I have to use WMV8 and waste a lot of time converting stuff to get it outputted. (We have Flip4mac WMV installed but it has no choice to set wmv8 video setting - no use.

I mostly edit in HDV or Prores, then output AVI DVPAL for input into Windows Media Encoder. I have QT7, QT ProRes and K-Lite codec pack installed on my WinXP partition. Although Microsoft Expression Encoder will read the ProRes files fine, WME does not. What I really would like is to output my project using QT current settings (HDV 1080i50) as that would be fastest method...but alas no Windows encoder will read it - or am I missing a codec?
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Joseph View Post
I have to use WMV8 and waste a lot of time converting stuff to get it outputted. (We have Flip4mac WMV installed but it has no choice to set wmv8 video setting - no use.
This confuses me. WMV 8 was a few versions back, but, as I recall, this implemented useful VBR? But, WMV8 didn't last long, 9 came along fast and was a more complete codec package.

WMV8 - 10 years old?

First choice: getting the distribution into WMV9, a pretty darn good codec. Even if you create a WMV8 workflow, you're just putting off what will eventually be needed.

Second choice: It may be worth a look at Telestream's forums or support to see if others have had to deal with WMV8 from flip4mac, since that would be the most straightforward solution to WMV8.

Quote:
I mostly edit in HDV or Prores, then output AVI DVPAL for input into Windows Media Encoder. I have QT7, QT ProRes and K-Lite codec pack installed on my WinXP partition. Although Microsoft Expression Encoder will read the ProRes files fine, WME does not. What I really would like is to output my project using QT current settings (HDV 1080i50) as that would be fastest method...but alas no Windows encoder will read it - or am I missing a codec?
QT HDV does not decode in QT windows, so far as I know. WME is very limited in many ways, especially QT. And Expression doesn't output WMV8, right?

Third choice: There is an installable WMV8 codec as part of "codec package for IT professionals" available at Microsoft. I don't know if that would make it available as an output codec with Expression. This may also call for forum/support searching. Using ProRes to Expression would be the best option if flip4mac isn't going to work, as it gets you away from the difficult WME.

Sorry I don't have any direct answers, this seems like a bit of an R&D project.
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Seth,

WMV8 workflow imposed by ICT infrastructure where I work due to laptops not correctly playing WMV9 - until the proper settings are enabled in WMV on the laptop profiles this is our work-around.

WMV9 workflows all sorted with any of the options I have outlined, just that wmv8 interim measures slowing me down and I was also wondering if could take HDV direct in as I also sometimes use HCEnc for good quality HD --> SD downscaling.

Spent a night searching about HDV codec on Windows to no avail.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Joseph View Post
...Spent a night searching about HDV codec on Windows to no avail.
Yeah, I think that's a dead-end. But, to do a final test, you could try taking your HDV clip in Windows and renaming it with an mpeg and an m2t extension, and see if, um, WME will pick it up.

I suggest this because HDV is an mpeg variant, and WME will pick up mpeg... but, the original QT wrapper on your HDV clip probably adds header info that's not acceptable in a .mpeg or .m2t.

Do suggest you research and ask at telestream.net, to see if it's possible to get WMV8 out of flip4mac, that would be a superior workflow.

Then there may be an installable WMV8 codec that Expression encoder will pick up.

But really, this is for a fleet of ICT-managed laptops? IMHO, they are not doing their job if they can't get a Windows Media Player installation together that is more recent than 2002! That's crazy! Usually that means that they don't care, not that they can't do it. If there's a business reason to play video on these laptops can't an exec get some action out of them? Are they even on WinXP? Are we talking about Win98, ME, or Win2000, NT?!?

I've dealt with enterprise-level IT groups on many occasions, with many challenges along the way, but, defending an 8-year-old install as necessary takes the cake! They win!

Will flip4mac let you do WMV7? I think all you lose is improved VBR, and the WMV7 CBR looks very good.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video