Ogv? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old July 20th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ogv?

So my company is trying to host videos on our website and we need the files in mp4 and ogv. I work with fcp7 and I am not familiar with ogv. Does anybody know of any converters or ways of getting my videos turned into ogv files?
Brandon Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

.ogv is one of the Ogg formats. I'm not that familiar with it, but you'd be looking for an encoder that outputs the Ogg Theora codec, I think.

Xiph.org is the clearinghouse for this open software project. They have a list of encoders here. Ah, I see VLC will do the conversion, it appears that .ogg is the more common extension.
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Seth,
Thanks a ton. I think I am one step closer to figuring this out. I installed the plug in "xithqt" so that i will be able to get .ogv files but when I export from final cut, I am still ending up with the .mov extension using the xith codec. Any Ideas? Is this plug in only designed for playback of .ogv files or can it output to them as well. Thanks in advance.

Brandon
Brandon Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to ogg formats. I have no idea whether the codec you downloaded is only good for decode or also encode.

Certainly you'd have to use export | quicktime export components, assuming you do have an encoding codec that QT sees.

Were it me, I'd export some intermediate mov like DV/DVCPRO (for standard def) or Prores422 (hidef) and take that render into an encoder. VLC is open source / freeware, for example, and has a good rep, but the page I referred you to above lists others.

If you're trying to do this more than once then it may pay off to develop a workflow out of FCP... but I've always gone to Compressor for the hard stuff.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video