youtube videos embedded on commercial sites at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old March 12th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

youtube videos embedded on commercial sites

I have been looking for a longer time to get a affordable solution to get high quality embedded videos on my wordpress wedding website that will play on any platform. I find Vimeo too expensive and have been working with videopress for a while now which is cheap, has good quality but comes with some limitations.

About a month ago I replaced my wordpress template on my website with a new more up to date template and that was optimized for youtube videos and it is resizable to fit smartphones and tablets as well, I uploaded some of my wedding demo's to youtube as test and the quality I get is very good. Untill today I use a unlisted link that only people can see who have it and must say the youtube player integrates perfectly, has autostart option, doesn't display any commercials and when it ends people can like or share the video. It displays the youtube logo for a very short while but I actually don't mind when my clients would see that.

Now google changed their policy a short while ago and to me it's not so clear what their policy is with YT videos embedded on commercial sites, as I understood that as long as you are not making money out of it from google by advertisement it should be ok, or not? Or should I be aware of the wordwide license I"m giving google to use my video as they see fit? I mean, there are so many companies using youtube to promote their products, that means they give google a license as well?

I find it hard to believe that you can get good quality free hosting for your videos to embed on your commercial website and with it getting a very good ranking in google from queries that come from potential clients. Where is the catch? Should I be worried and better stay with videopress?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: youtube videos embedded on commercial sites

I'm using YouTube almost exclusively, since they updated channels. I really like the way you can customize your YouTube channel.

I also like the varying security settings under the Video Manager, for instance, upload a watermarked video and timecode overlay with the option "viewable only by those possessing the link" (paraphrased). Then email client the link. Video Manager tells me number of views etc.

My Vimeo Plus didn't have these options, so I let it expire. Also, I couldn't customize channels I created on Vimeo to the extent I can on YouTube. My YouTube channel has nearly the same look as my company website now. I like being able to have a consistent look and feel for them.

I did like Vimeo's Statistics available with the plus account, but that wasn't enough for me to keep it. Also didn't like the new Vimeo look either.

YouTube is far from perfect, but it's gotten MUCH better the past two years. And it IS favored by Google in search.
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: youtube videos embedded on commercial sites

Thx Roger for your answer, I"ll just wait and see how it turns out, I will keep all my demo's on videopress, just incase youtube decides to delete my videos or mute the music. (All my used music is licensed but you never know) Since it is free you can't expect any support if things go wrong so better safe then sorry.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video