Cleaner 5 EZ settings... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old January 1st, 2003, 08:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cleaner 5 EZ settings...

Hi,

I use Cleaner 5 EZ with Adobe Premiere to export what Ive edited mostly to showcase on the web, but I don't seem to get the quality I want and the file size. I use the size 240x180 and 192x144 on my small videos which is rarly over 2min.
IF someone have found some perfect settings which gives you a small Quiktime file with good quality, maybe on the cost of audio I would love to hear about it.
Please write it down:)
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 07:32 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello DV...er, Death...

I've been in search of the "perfect settings" with Cleaner for a long time...it takes a lot of tweaking. Here are some good base settings that I've found:

First, save your footage as a raw file. In FCP, you save it as an FCP file. Do NOT export it from your editing program as a QT file! Then, open the raw file in Cleaner and choose the Quicktime "Big" and "Progressive Streaming" setting. This will serve as your base. Next, go in and start tweaking. Here are the settings I've used:

Tracks
Video - Process & Display High Quality
Audio - Process
MPEG - Process

Crop - manual
Image size - set your sizes here
Display size - Normal
Deinterlace - Auto
Adaptaptive Noise Reduce - Mild
All others - unchecked

Adjust
Contrast - +5
All others - unchecked

Encode
Codec - Sorenson Video Compression
Bit depth - Millions of colors
Frame rate - 15 fps
Keyframes - every 15 frames
Video Data Rate - Basic, 1440.0 kbits/sec
Total Data Rate - 1.7 Mbits/s

Audio
Codec - IMA 4:1
Sample rate - 44.100 kHz (dropping to 22 here reduces the final file size surprisingly little)
Depth - 16-bit
Channels - Stereo

Begin/End
High-Quality Frames - Basic, First frame & Last frame

You'll need to set your Meta Data with your personal info. And then the major element for determining the quality and size will be playing with the "frame rate" and the "video data rate." For smaller files, I can drop the data rate down to as low as 720 kbps and it works fine. Larger files require higher rates to maintain image quality. Make sure the frame rate you select is evenly divisible by the camera's frame rate. If I don't use "15" I usually use "Same as source."

If you want to see samples of how these settings turned out, go to http://sursumfilms.com/shadow/ and watch the trailer and film. I squeezed these as much as I could, so you'll see some loss of image quality in the small and large sizes. The medium sizes turned out okay.

Good luck. The main thing to remember is that there's no magic button with Cleaner...you just have play with it for hours and hours and possibly days and days to get a feel for how to manipulate it.
Old January 4th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for those settings John, Im using Premiere so should i just enter my file as it is from capturing to Cleaner EZ 5?
I will try it.
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video