Web Video Storage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Web Video Storage

I was poking around the internet looking for a good web storage site. I've found several, but after reading the "Terms and Conditions" clause you have to acknowledge, I'm reluctant to sign up for any. Read this:

You grant to XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX’s affiliates, representatives, and assigns an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully-paid, world-wide, royalty-free license, with the right to grant sublicenses through multiple tiers of sublicensees, to publicly display, publicly perform, distribute, store, transcode, syndicate, broadcast, reproduce, edit, modify, create derivative works, and otherwise use and reuse your Submissions (or any portions or derivative works thereof) in any manner, in any medium, for any purpose.

Here are the ones I've found, but now I'm gun shy. I want to store a few video files to share without giving them away forever. I very seldom read the legaleze, but I'm glad I looked at it tonight.

Grouper

ourmedia

Streamload

Google Video

TagWorld

Anyone have experience with any of these?
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #2
New Boot

Patrick,

Have you considered getting a domain and setting up your own website where you can post whatever you like?

Hosting is very cheap these days, and a url will only cost you 10 bucks a year.

Make sure that whatever you post has a watermark.

Regards,
Dean
Dean Steinmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes, your own Web site is the ideal way to go, and the prices have really dropped for Web hosting. 1&1, for example, now has a package for $3 a month that features 5GB (5,000MB) of storage space, 250GB (250,000MB) monthly transfer, and one free domain name. There are plenty of other Web hosts around, but so far I haven't seen a deal this good anywhere else.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; March 11th, 2006 at 09:35 AM.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Completely off topic, but its nice to see someone else from Alabama. I wish I was a close to the beach as you though

I myself use Linode for a web host www.linode.com

So far my favorite, but you need good knowledge of Linux
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I myself use Linode for a web host www.linode.com

So far my favorite, but you need good knowledge of Linux
Linode sure looks like a neat (and relatively inexpensive option) for root Linux Web hosting. It's an interesting idea to set up virtual servers to accomplish this at a reasonable cost compared to dedicated root servers. Sure have been times when I would have appreciated root access.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #6
Major Player

dvchallenge.org

I think the time has come for a group of us to get a hosting account for our DVChallenge entries. If 20-30 of us pool together, we can have a permanent home for our entries, for very few dollars. No need to burden Dylan with another responsibility, we can do it on own own.

Any interest?
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If anyone is interested, check this out: http://www.netfirms.com/max

I purchased it as a secondary domain and have been extremely happy with it so far. Give it a shot. Costs $10 a year, with 2 domains, plenty of storage and a lot of bandwidth.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video