DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Quicktime 7 (free) no audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/63997-quicktime-7-free-no-audio.html)

Mike McKay March 30th, 2006 11:53 AM

Quicktime 7 (free) no audio

Installed QT 7 on my PC. It uninstalled QT6 without checking first. No audio. Did a google, all kinds of people including mac people having problems with QT7.
I wanted to go to the pro version so I could look into this H.264 stuff to see about encoding HDV samples for my website.....do I need QT7 pro to do this? Did QT6 Pro do this?
Can't very well buy the Pro7 if the free player doesn't work.

Dan Euritt March 30th, 2006 01:49 PM

first off, you can't put hdv footage on the 'net, because the resolution is too high... even standard 640x480 sd footage is barely acceptable, so you'll probably have to down-rez your hdv regardless of what format you use.

since the qt7 player doesn't work well, why put up h.264 footage that requires people to use qt7 to play it back? go with wmv, it's a lot more universal.

if you must have h.264, take a look at nero... i saw it for $29 at fry's the other day??

Mike McKay March 30th, 2006 03:43 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm a noob at this web delivery stuff. I knew the hd footage in native couldnt' be put on web, I was going to render from Vegas to wmv (what i meant was that is was shot in HDV). But I kept hearing how this h.264 codec was king of quality etc.
I have no problem with wmv quality, but I also will do qt to cover all bases.
I have just embedded my first samples with wmv as 'progressive download' or 'psudo-stream'...whatever it's called, but I saw some samples of quicktime video that loaded really fast and looked great and I believe they used h.264, however I'm not totally sure.
Really I'm having problems finding places to learn how to approach web delivery...it appears there's a lot of fragmented info out there.
Is there anywhere on the net that the average joe (or Mike) can find relatively simple solutions on how to deliver for web? Or a book with step-by-step etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
first off, you can't put hdv footage on the 'net, because the resolution is too high... even standard 640x480 sd footage is barely acceptable, so you'll probably have to down-rez your hdv regardless of what format you use.

since the qt7 player doesn't work well, why put up h.264 footage that requires people to use qt7 to play it back? go with wmv, it's a lot more universal.

if you must have h.264, take a look at nero... i saw it for $29 at fry's the other day??

Dan Euritt March 31st, 2006 06:17 PM

your "samples of quicktime video that downloaded really fast" could have been the result of a number of factors, including bitrate of the file, speed of the web server they were on, location of the web server vs. where you are at now, etc.

the only way to compare apples to apples is to make absolutely sure that both files being compared have the same video and audio bitrates.

the main reason that you *might* need qt is because of macs, and since less than 3% of the computers on the 'net are macs, there is no need for qt... unless you really wanted h.264, but as i have pointed out before, the qt player is not capable of playing back all of the h.264 encoding parameters.

in other words, qt will only play back a subset of h.264, so you can't get all of the picture quality that h.264 is capable of delivering... it's kinda sad that apple just can't get it right.

i understood that your footage was shot on hdv from the beginning of this thread.

the only way to learn this stuff is to get down and start encoding, just remember to always compare bitrates, framesizes, and framerates, so that everything is done on a similar basis, and always use two-pass encoding... take a look at my other post, nobody is paying attention to it, lol, but it will help you: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62614