dreamweaver or golive, any difference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

dreamweaver or golive, any difference?

I just spoke to adobes expert support and they told me that dreamweaver and golive are the same program. Is that true, are they very very similar? I have expert support that covers golive but wont cover dreamweaver as of yet. I am in the market for either and it sure would be nice if my support program covered it. Anyone use either? Any thoughts of which to get? Thanks TAG
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I can't really give you a fair assement, I haven't used GoLive in years and my version of DreamWeaver is also a few years old. But I will say that my old Dreamweaver is fairly intuitive, and when GoLive first came out, it was anything but. It may have made drastic changes since then, but I also believe Adobe has bought Macromedia. So he may very well be right. Adobe might have fixed GoLive, by buying Dreamweaver, and putting their name on it ;)
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:24 PM   #3
New Boot

The programs are totally different (although in the end they do the same thing).

Adobe is selling both of them still for some crazy reason... Dreamweaver is "industry-leading" for a reason.

Chris
Chris Van Patten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Major Player

GoLive was Adobe's attempt at a web design program...I thought it sucked.

Dreamweaver from Macromedia was always much better. Now that Adobe owns Macromedia, it wouldn't surprise me to see GoLive die the fiery death it deserves.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Van Patten
Adobe is selling both of them still for some crazy reason
Actually, I hear they're phasing out both golive and illustrator.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:11 PM   #6
Air China Pilot

Illustrator? That's retarded. I use Illustrator EVERY DAY. What other drawing program is that popular and good?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:16 PM   #7
Major Player

You know Keith, maybe I got that backwards. Maybe it's Freehand they're pulling the plug on. I guess that would make more sense.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:29 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

Yeah, Freehand was Macromedia's "GoLive". They tried to copy Illustrator, but juuuuust missed it being functional.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:45 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Loh
Illustrator? That's retarded. I use Illustrator EVERY DAY. What other drawing program is that popular and good?

Hey Keith could you answer me an illustrator question. I design things in photoshop, the printer's (T-shirts) always need it in vector format so they can open it in thier presses. I've always seem to been able to figure out a round about way to get it from psd to eps, most of the time by asking someone to do it for me.

Granted, some of the t-shirt vendors are not the sharpest, although some of them are. In the future when I design in photoshop, is there a way that I can convert to vector eps w/o buying illustrator?

I tried to use illustrator once, but it's not something I would need daily to justify the expense.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi all, thanks for the help. It sure sounded funny when they said they were the same program. Im off to buy the weaver, dreamweaver. Thanks TAG
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM   #11
Air China Pilot

Steven I think there is some plugin that will trace your art and create bezier curves. However, I have no idea how well it will do it. And it would probably mean you would have to make it for each layer.

Photoshop itself has the pen tool which works about the same as it does in Illustrator, just lacking a lot of the nice features that Illustrator has to edit your curves. If you learned how to use the pen tool you could get by, but then by learning the pen tool you might as well jump into Illustrator.

Your T shirt vendor is not dumb. Accepting your raster art might mean they have to deal with extremely large files to get the resolution high enough whereas a vector artwork would be easily handled.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM   #12
Capt. Quirk

Using the pen tool in Photoshop, is about as bad as the pen tool in Freehand. Illustrator really does rock with their's.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #14
Trustee

When I used to hang out on the Adobe forums (I use GoLive 6.0) the general consensus seemed to be that the Dreamweaver UI was more suited for the programming type, while the GoLive UI was geared more towards the graphic designer type. I really don't know myself as I never tried Dreamweaver. Both have good WYSIWYG tools and can do source code editing, of course, plus many other goodies that come with such high priced programs. ;-)

One thing I do know. Adobe removed the Dynamic Content module from GoLive that simplified basic database connections and basic data processing starting with the CS versions. If you need to connect to databases and manipulate data you can of course do all the coding by hand, but if you prefer some help, Dreamweaver would probably be the better choice.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Major Player

anyone remember adobe's "flash-killer" app? it wasn't worth remembering.

having worked for interactive agencies off and on for many years, almost all used dreamweaver exclusively. like others, i haven't touched golive since early on, but the thing that got me hooked on dreamweaver was the split panes -- one for code, one wysiwig. you could easily jump back and forth, as well as see how the wysiwig environment was impacting the code (quite often to it's detriment). to me, it was the first wysiwig editor that was code-friendly.

on a side note, i doubt either freehand and illustrator are going anywhere anytime soon. freehand was the industry leader only less than 10 years ago, while illustrator was in it's growing stages, and it still enjoys widespread professional use outside the US. freelance illustrators from europe are always sending us freehand files. conversely, i haven't met an illustrator in the US who uses freehand, at least primarily. in a similar type of move, autodesk just bought maya, with the comparably powerful 3ds max still in its product catalog. both are industry leading 3d programs, and, likewise, you won't see either dropping off soon.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video