Sending QT movie via FTP for projection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #1
New Boot

Sending QT movie via FTP for projection

I need to get a 6 min movie I made in FCP from the States to Uganda by tomorrow. The recipients need to be able to project it on a large screen. The idea was to put it on my ftp. I have done this before with movies up to 70mg, but they were QT movies which I formatted for the web.
I know nothing about projectors and projecting. Could someone please tell me is this is a viable solution.
Thanks
Kirsten Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Kirsten,

the information you gave is a little too vague to give specific advise. Whether your movie is projected or shown on a TV/computer monitor is completely unrelated to how you can physically transfer the necessary files or media. The only connection I can see is that the larger the display surface, the higher the quality of the encoded movie should be, because all the little artifacts are all of a sudden not so little anymore.

A QuickTime movie such as the ones you have transferred using FTP could be played on a computer that in turn is connected to a projector. If the projector is connected to a standard DVD player, then apart from overnighting a DVD (not sure if that is possible) you could use FTP to transmit either the video and audio files (i.e., have someone author a DVD in Uganda based on your material) or transfer all the finished files from a DVD and burn them onto a copy in Uganda.

If you can post some more information about what equipment is available to play this in Uganda, I am sure we can help you more.

- Martin
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #3
New Boot

Martin.
As far as I know, they have a computer and a projector. I feared that I would have to somehow get the full 1.8GB project to them so that they could put it on a dvd in order to project onto a big screen. You have confirmed my fears.
Unfortunately, overnighting is not an option.
Thanks anyway,
Kirsten
Kirsten Scully is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video