Color shift with Mainconcept mpg2 codec at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old December 7th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Color shift with Mainconcept mpg2 codec

I'm not sure whether to put this here or in the Vegas area.

The problem I am having is this. I edit my video on the timeline. I'm using Vegas, but I don't think it matters. When I render my web versions the color is excellent. I am rendering with Windows Media Codec v9, and to Quicktime with the Sorenson 3 Codec. The colors match what I see on the timeline preview on my computer screen.

When I render for DVD with the Mainconcept mpg2 codec, it's as though someone snuck in, turned up my saturation and shifted everything 10% more warm. I feel like I need to desaturate to try to get some natural looking colors in my Mpeg versions. I have also used the Sony h.264 codec and the colors come out nicely on it too.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice short of doing a desaturation prior to rendering for DVD?

Thanks.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Trustee

That is because DVDs use a different color space. It has nothing to do with the Mainconcept MPEG-2 encoder. If you view your DVDs on a calibrated production monitor it should look fine. Software DVD players may not do the appropriate color space conversions. I know for a fact that PowerDVD does not.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Perhaps I was not clear in my "issue". I am aware of the colorspace variances between the two mediums. That is not where I am having the problem. I edit on a calibrated monitor.

My problem is this:

Assuming starting with the same color-corrected, AVI file and viewing the compressed file on the same computer monitor:

Render with WMV - Colors are fine
Render with Sorensen 3 - Colors are fine
Render with Sony H.264 - Colors are fine
Render with M.C. Mpg2 - Colors are oversaturated and shifted red.

When I drop the mpg2 file into my DVD authoring software, the change in colors are obvious both as I preview on the computer monitor, and as I scrub the timeline and view with the calibrated monitor.
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Trustee

I hate to belabor the point, but are you viewing this on your computer monitor or through a DVD player and a production monitor? When you mention scrubbing I get the impression that you are referring to your computer monitor.
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I am viewing this on both my computer monitor AND my calibrated TV monitor. I am also viewing the finished DVD on 3 seperate televisions, all of which have been setup using color bars.
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Trustee

Since I have not encountered such a problem, my intuition would be to try a different MPEG-2 encoder for comparison.
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Since I have not encountered such a problem, my intuition would be to try a different MPEG-2 encoder for comparison.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I opened up Premier to do exactly that but realized I didn't have another mpeg2 encoder on the machine. Are there any freebies out there? Even as a trial?
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #8
Trustee

You could try QuEnc.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #9
Trustee

OR ffmpeg.
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
OR ffmpeg.
QuEnc is based on ffmpeg.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; December 11th, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video