Blue screen - video codec - clients at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Blue screen - video codec - clients

A few clients have complained my business website is blue screened where the video plays back. They hear the audio, but no video. I recently purchased ON2 Flix Pro codec and uploaded a presentation video for playback on my business website. Other users see both audio and video with no difficulty. I had assumed users having a problem needed an updated Flash Player from Adobe; but even when updated, it doesn't seem to help. I would link my site but don't want to come across as an advertisement.

Any ideas?
Chris Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in this case we can't help unless Christ posts his web address.
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #3
New Boot

Still an unsolved problem: link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in this case we can't help unless Chris posts his web address.
Thanks Ervin. Still in a quandry over this, so I will post my website link below.
Summarizing the original problem: A few clients have complained my business website is blue screened where the video plays back. They hear the audio, but no video. I recently purchased ON2 Flix Pro codec and uploaded a presentation video for playback on my business website. Other users see both audio and video with no difficulty. I had assumed users having a problem needed an updated Flash Player from Adobe; but even when updated, it doesn't seem to help.

Here's the link: www.resumechoice.com And no, I'm not soliciting business, but would appreciate any feedback as to what the difficulty may be. Thanks Chris
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Chris - just curious, how come you decided to go with flash rather than windows media or quicktime? I believe that flash codec has changed over the past several versions and I'm wondering whether that has anything to do with it..might even be posted on the flash support site if it's common enough of a problem..
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You unfortunately have to dumb down to the level of your clients.

Never use anything that requires more than a standard install of Windows.

Businesspeople know little of computers, codecs, supplimental software, etc.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Chris,

It might just be the high bitrate. I tried your site on two different computers, on a slow one (old computer with slow internet, around 100 KBps) it takes for ever to even start playing; on a faster one it takes some time to start, and then every now and then it would stop to buffer. What bitrate have you used?

So part two of the "dumb down" rule would be to slow down... not everyone has a superfast computer with good internet. Have you thought about embedded Windows Media Player? It might be even more popular than Flash since it comes standard on every PC.

P.S. Since I helped you here, could you re-write my resume in exchange? Wink... just kidding...
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #7
New Boot

Response

Fellows,

Thanks for your responses. I went with this codec (the latest version) to avoid video downloads onto the user's computer as with Windows Media Player/ Real Player. Realize now some of the disadvatages. I think the "dumbing down" is a good idea as well. My preset is 512K Broadband High (3+SWF). Any recommendations as to the lowest preset that still gives quality imaging? (have to somehow make up for the face that's on there!). I really appreciated your input.

Chris
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Chris - what encoder(s) do you have access to? you might have good luck encoding around 384k for internet delivery.. too much for dial up, but reasonable for other means... also, if you want to tweek it a little, you can cut down the audio bitrate or width and save some bandwidth that way..

if your source is 4:3 (SD), you can go with a 480x360 or even 320x240, which at 384k in either quicktime or windows media v9 should look decent...

post more about about what tools you have avail. for encoding and perhaps we can post more as well...
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #9
New Boot

Encoder

Dave,

I'm using Premier Pro 1.5, converted to .AVI, then use Flix ON2V6 codec for upload. I need to reshoot regardless, so will try the lower bitrate, and as you suggest, tweak the audio. Perhaps I could repost when completed (within two weeks), and ask for your feedback again. Thanks to each of you for taking the time to respond. Chris
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Starkey
Dave,

I'm using Premier Pro 1.5, converted to .AVI, then use Flix ON2V6 codec for upload. I need to reshoot regardless, so will try the lower bitrate, and as you suggest, tweak the audio. Perhaps I could repost when completed (within two weeks), and ask for your feedback again. Thanks to each of you for taking the time to respond. Chris
try it without chaning the audio first, e.g. whatever's in a ~384k template and see how that goes..I don't know PP or would make some suggestions. If it doesn't work when you retry, post back here and I can encode it for you in wmf or quicktime and you can see if that works better. good luck...
Dave Stern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video