helicopter shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old October 12th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

helicopter shoot

I have an assignment in several days to shoot several hours of video. Equipment: HVX200P, P2 cards, FS-100, G4 powerbook. Helicopter has a set gyro system installed.
The most important question is shutter speed. Should I go fast, 1/120 - 1/250, or should I base it on frame rate. The second question is about the fs-100. It was just purchased for this flight and question downloading to the powerbook?

Thanks for your help!
Jack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't know if this will help, but I tried shooting with an FS100 in a helicopter and it failed. Had to switch over to P2 cards or I'd have gotten nothing.

The unit kept giving me error messages. And when I got back, the video files were scrambled (in and out points all messed up) and almost all of it was unplayable.

If you do use the FS100 make absolutely certain it's well isolated from any of the helicopter's vibrations. The hard drive in it doesn't like getting jostled at all.

On the other hand, on a recent flight I used a P2 Store to download the cards and it worked just fine. The hard drive in there is very tolerant of physical shock. It's well isolated and stops writing if g-loads exceed a certain point.
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Jack,

Keep in mind the Firestore is a spinning hard-disk and is subject to typical spinning HDD issues; bumps, sudden g-force changes etc are going to cause the Firestore' heads to bounce and become unusable.

I've shot many a heli-shoot and unless you have the Firestore built-into the gyro-stabilized rig for the camera you can't count on it being reliable.
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #4
Major Player

I shot some footage out of a heli some while ago (DV TAPE, shoulder cam) and was impressed how sensible a heli can be flown (they took out one door for the shot).

I assume that a gyro also makes the harddrive work better - but I wouldnt rely on that. I also own a Edirol audio harddrive recorder and tried to run it placed on a subwoofer at a wedding - know what? After some minutes the unit showed repeatingly "harddrive errors" - due to the vibrations.

IŽd go for some P2 cards and run the firestore as backup - its worth a try...

(or, if you want to avoid any damage : Leave the FS100 on the ground)

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Guys,

They are one of the best sources for anything heli-rig related and work directly with Ken-Labs on creating new gyro-rigs. They also rent and sell their rigs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras