Skiiing/Climbing Aerial footage at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Skiiing/Climbing Aerial footage

A mixed bag of skiing/climbing/biking footage. Some from the air, some from the ground.

http://www.pitonproductions.com/SkiingVids/November.MOV
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: France
Posts: 152
Really nice footage, but professionnal. I like the air view.

gilles
__________________
Gilles Debord
http://www.wwvideo.tv
Gilles Debord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oppland, Norway
Posts: 1,394
Derek, nice video, like the aerial shots very much!
__________________
- Per Johan
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 1,397
Very cool indeedy !!! With the snow season knocking on the door this has really got me tingling for board time.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Peel,Isle of Man(UK)
Posts: 194
Superb,very professional looking. What camera did you use? The quality is incredible.
__________________
Canon XH-A1,SGPRO flip,Apple imac,FCExpress
http://www.pbase.com/philkneen
Phil Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kay View Post
Superb,very professional looking. What camera did you use? The quality is incredible.
FX1 on the ground, HV10 in the air.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 388
That is really outstanding! Congratulations.

Did you have to get any special permission from the ski resort operator to fly or is that all backcountry?

How did you get hooked up with the copter and how long did it take before you were confident enough to strap on a camera and take off?

I live 2 miles from an aerodrome and though I've never flown anything I've been itching to see what it would be like to do some aerial video. How steep is the learning curve?

I could definetely see your footage playing on the Travel Channel or Outdoor Life (now VS in some markets) if that's a direction you want to go. Well done.
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
That is really outstanding! Congratulations.

Did you have to get any special permission from the ski resort operator to fly or is that all backcountry?

How did you get hooked up with the copter and how long did it take before you were confident enough to strap on a camera and take off?

I live 2 miles from an aerodrome and though I've never flown anything I've been itching to see what it would be like to do some aerial video. How steep is the learning curve?

I could definetely see your footage playing on the Travel Channel or Outdoor Life (now VS in some markets) if that's a direction you want to go. Well done.
1. All backcountry.
2. I've been working on dialing in the heli for over a year. I've crashed it multiple times, and smashed an HDV camera. The learning curve is very steep. I have put literally almost full time work into learning to fly, figuring out the nuances, etc.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #9
New Boot
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 15
That's great footage! How hard is it to bring the helo with you into the BC? That beats ziplines (ie: collective) for sure, you can move the camera virtually anywhere. Also is the helo affected by altitude?
Chris Eugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Eugster View Post
That's great footage! How hard is it to bring the helo with you into the BC? That beats ziplines (ie: collective) for sure, you can move the camera virtually anywhere. Also is the helo affected by altitude?
I can climb at a rate of about 36-42 feet per minute with all the equipment on my back. We usually average 50 fpm when normally skiing.

It flys with PLENTY of power at 11,000ft on a cool day.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network