EX1 and helicopter filming. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old February 15th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Trustee

EX1 and helicopter filming.

I'm due to film a helicopter taking off and landing soon.Can anyone give me advice on what shutter speed to use and should i use progressive or interlaced.I don't know how many takes i'll be able to get so obviously i'd like to get it right first time.Any other info that would be helpful regarding camera settings will also be appreciated.
Thanks,Paul.
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Other than some special effects perhaps, I don't believe in format changing each time to "suit" objects being filmed. I personally like progressive, and would only change it to 1080i (or even 720p) for really fast action, like car racing.

Other than that, why not film a helicopter in the same format as anything else? I mean, use the format that suits your personal taste best.
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Paul shoot 1080 30p it worked great. I did it yesterday an the footage is very smooth.
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Paul shoot 1080 30p it worked great. I did it yesterday an the footage is very smooth.

Care to share a taste of that? Seeing some actual sample footage of filming moving aircraft would really be nice.
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Brad I will be glad to show some heilcopter landing footage when I get home on the 22nd. I only have iPhone access on this shoot.

I shoot the same 1080 30p while flying in helicopters. Today I am shooting 720 30/60p for some slow mo on my flight. An 720 60p for a test.

Go to the forum I think it is called overland/underwater where we are discussing helicopter shooting. Sorry I am not sure how to link on the iPhone yet.
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #6
Major Player

thx Paul!
looking forward to it!
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras