DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Helicam Mtn Biking Vid (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/121888-helicam-mtn-biking-vid.html)

Derek Weiss May 18th, 2008 12:40 PM

Helicam Mtn Biking Vid

2:30 Quicktime 62mb

A bunch of this stuff is from last year when I had the HV10 on the heli. That cam sucked on the heli, and shows with wavey footage.

www.pitonproductions.com/Bike/UtahBike.mov

Vimeo.
http://www.vimeo.com/1021450

Matt Buys May 18th, 2008 07:07 PM

It took eating a burger to download but it was worth it. You got your money's worth out of the HV10. Fantastic footage. Loved the shot of the timelapsed sky, followed by rider busting across it in slo mo.

Julian Frost May 18th, 2008 07:23 PM

Great footage. Show us your setup! You should do a behind the scenes video. :-)

Jonathan Shaw May 18th, 2008 07:29 PM

I really liked it... great angles!

Andrew Farrell May 22nd, 2008 11:33 PM

Derek, all of those videos on vimeo are truly spectacular, well done!!

Bob Thompson May 23rd, 2008 04:30 AM

Derek,

Fantastic video's, congratulations

Bob

Paul Kendal May 23rd, 2008 05:32 AM

Hey Derek,

Would you mind telling us where you bought your heli from?

I have been looking for a good electric helicopter setup able to achieve the great footage you are getting.

Thanks for the info!!!

Paul

Derek Weiss May 26th, 2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kendal (Post 882037)
Hey Derek,

Would you mind telling us where you bought your heli from?

I have been looking for a good electric helicopter setup able to achieve the great footage you are getting.

Thanks for the info!!!

Paul

It's a 600mm blade electric heli with a custom camera gimbal. That's about all the info I'm willing to divulge. Sorry, there's just so much money and effort put forth into figuring this stuff out that I'm not willing to give all the details out.

I will say it takes atleast two years and hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in mistakes and crashes to get to a point where you are getting useable footage.

Best of luck if you decide to give it a go. It's worth it when you finally get 5 seconds of footage that you imagined in your mind.

Dale Guthormsen May 26th, 2008 01:57 PM

Derek,

Your footage is outstanding. You have a good hand on that chopper keeping it all rather smooth.
I was curious how you, on the ground keep your subjects framed and do the zooming at the same time. or do you just point and shoot tons of footage and grab the good stuff??

Seems to me you are ready to do some real serious film work on a topic that will market well!!!

Derek Weiss May 26th, 2008 03:41 PM

Dale,

Ideally we use a second person as a camera operator who views what the camera is seeing via a remote screen. The camera operator has 180 degree panning and tilt via remote radio. So I fly, and the camera operator communicates with me to tell me where to go, how high, how fast, etc. It makes my job alot easier.

Everything in this vid was shot without a camera operator, and a fixed camera. I guess what the camera is seeing.

Paul Kendal May 26th, 2008 05:18 PM

No problem Derek....I totally understand and respect that.

Paul

Dale Guthormsen May 27th, 2008 10:47 AM

Derek,

I have a site I want to place a camera and it does not facilitate a blind, so I was going to just set the camera, put it on long play with an 80 minute tape and let it record for a couple hours.

I could place a ground blind some distance off, a remote viewer would be terrific, what system do you use to do that??? It would be totally useful!!

thank you,

Derek Weiss May 27th, 2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 883913)
Derek,

I have a site I want to place a camera and it does not facilitate a blind, so I was going to just set the camera, put it on long play with an 80 minute tape and let it record for a couple hours.

I could place a ground blind some distance off, a remote viewer would be terrific, what system do you use to do that??? It would be totally useful!!

thank you,

A 2.4ghz downlink with receiver. Check www.rangevideo.com

The downlink is about 100 bucks and the receiver about the same.

Chris Medico May 27th, 2008 02:44 PM

Great work Derek. Love the heli shots!

Dale Guthormsen May 28th, 2008 09:34 AM

Derek,

For a few of the clips i need this might be a useful option, particularly the camera with over 500 lines.

I went to the site but I have a couple questions.

Does the receiver plug into your cam corder to record the image to tape???

How does one control exposure??

This is pretty cool stuff!!!

If this runs through the camera, I could hook up my camera to my lap top and from a distance, watch through the camera onto the laptop and then possibly record directly to the lap top when I can get the image I want.

does that sound reasonable??