Aspen Aerials - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old September 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Thanks Derek I will presue a few options (www.airfoilhelicams.com an www.helivision.eu) we have been working for a while. Thought you might have some new information for us on machines. But I understand if you want to keep your equipment secret. Keep up the great work really enjoy your footage.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; September 13th, 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #17
Major Player

Paul,

It's not really a secret, it's a matter of what kind of camera you intend to carry, it's weight, flight times you require, and your budget.

For 95% of the crowd, an electric heli is the way to go for their overall simplicity. If you need to haul a 35mm or 16mm camera, then a turbine swinging atleast 800mm blades is the best option for it's ability to haul large payloads. Turbines require another level of caution because of their power, weight, and fuel.

I'd stay away from two-stroke powered helis because they are far more difficult to tune for smooth, vibration free video.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks Derek,

Our payloads are Sony SR12 - Sony XDCAM EX1 with Kenyon gyro. So it sounds like we do not need the Turbine and can go electric. Now to find the best machine. Thanks for the tip on two strokes makes perfect sense dealing with two stroke and four stroke outboards all my life.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Thanks Derek,

Our payloads are Sony SR12 - Sony XDCAM EX1 with Kenyon gyro. So it sounds like we do not need the Turbine and can go electric. Now to find the best machine. Thanks for the tip on two strokes makes perfect sense dealing with two stroke and four stroke outboards all my life.
I fly the EX1 with a very light front mount (2.5 pounds) on a 12s system with 700mm blades. But the ideal heli would be the Maxi Joker or Bergen Observer Electric swinging 800mm blades.
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Both look like great machines. The distributor for the Maxi is just up the road I will contact them tomorrow.

We had a meeting today and our R44 pilot has some time with RC's. Next step is for two of us to get up to speed flying so we have options. We have been flying the Reflex Sim and now are ready to buy a trainer so next spring we can move into the larger machine. Any recommendations on a trainer? Raptor 30 has been recommended but there are just so many options.

This is still the early stages for us and we are enjoying the process. Will be a nice addition to our growing company.

Thank you for your help. If you ever need advice on shooting from a full size machine we have years of experience. Also anything involved in shooting the marine industry since that is our specialty.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #21
Major Player

Buy a Trex 600. That way a bunch of the equipment will cross over. For example, chargers, batteries, familiarity with electrics in general.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I looked up the T-Rex 600 wow a nice machine and a lot of options. My thought would be to go with a fiberglass version knowing composites it would be tougher then the carbon. Much bigger trainer then I was thinking of but makes sense to have a cross over with gear.

I will search for a RTF unit.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Well found a local shop that sells the TRex 600 Welcome to RCHover - Home . I will visit this week to look at my options.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #24
Major Player

What delightful toys. Er, tools. :-)
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras