DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Camcorder to attach on a R/C HELICOPTER, which choice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/473785-camcorder-attach-r-c-helicopter-choice.html)

Marcus Martell February 28th, 2010 06:06 AM

Camcorder to attach on a R/C HELICOPTER, which choice

Hola chicos, i've been on vacation for a couple of days and i was wonderin which would be the best choice of AVCHD cam that shoot in 1080 to be attached on the base of an helicopter R/c. I've the goproHD but i was looking for something "more Camcorder"!
I thought about the sony DSR 11 maybe but i know better stuff is out there right now!
Please could you gimme an hand?
Gracias

Gabor Heeres February 28th, 2010 12:10 PM

The Sony DSR-11 is a DVCAM-deck, not a camcorder at all. The Sony HXR-MC1P seems to be a good choise for this purpose but pretty expensive as well.

Dave Blackhurst February 28th, 2010 03:18 PM

I'll presume you were refering to the SR11/12, which has been replaced by the XR500V/520V, better OIS, better low light, otherwise pretty similar to the SR series.

I'm thinking that every ounce/gram counts, so perhaps the CX500V/520V would be even better - flash memory instead of HDD, no VF (there's a new CX550V that does have VF and BIG LCD, but may have gained some weight in the process if the Sony US web site is correct... they show it weighing the same as the HDD version, which I doubt). The OIS has even improved another notch over the XR500, now supresses "roll" more reliably. For small and light, the CX is hard to beat, plus no vibration issues (flash memory or memory stick). Oh, and the CX550V can use SDHC cards now too.

There is an XR550V, but I think the CX memory should be more than sufficient for civilian use (presuming you don't need hours upon hours of footage!). There are also similar Canons, which I'm sure would be great as well. HF-S series is the top of their line now, roughly comparable to the XR/CX series.

One other possible thing with the new 550 series cams - much wider "wide" lens end (aprox 30mm vs 46mm IIRC), meaning you might not need or want a WA, so perhaps better overall results and overall lower weight.

Robert Turchick February 28th, 2010 03:26 PM

Well, having been a competitive R/C heli pilot and instructor for many years, it really depends on the heli.

A friend of mine flies "90-size" electrics which he carries a HVX-200 or smaller from. His rig has pan/tilt and wireless video feed for a second operator to control the camera.
Downside is fully loaded with the 200, his flights are only about 7-8 minutes. BUT that's plenty for most applications.

I have flown my Canon Elura 60 (palmcorder) with a wide angle adapter on my glow fuel 60 size. Just have to be super careful about where the exhaust is pointed since quite a bit of oil drips out. I used to get 15 minute flights but probably could have pushed it to 20.

For me, the ultimate would be a gas powered heli which could easily carry a 15lb load and you'd get 30 minute flights easily. They tend to be a lot smoother (not as smooth as an electric) and very reliable. Then, pick pretty much whatever camera you want!
Personally I'd go for Canon's HFS-11 with a wide angle adapter. Light, tons of record time and great quality video.

Jim Cancil April 9th, 2010 07:55 AM

'Buenas .. I fiddle around mounting small cams on a variety of stuff.. mainly for my own curiosity. Robert Turchick has the full assault covered with heavy weapons, but my approach is closer to using an air rifle. So, my answer will come from the cheap seats.

An R/C copter seemed an obvious mount .. but is far more complicated than I anticipated. I have an E-Flight BLADE. Owing one is not 'flying' one. ...buggers take a ton of skill that is not gotten in a couple of hours on the weekend. I have a ton of respect for people that can fly them well; they are very easily turned into a pile of parts. ..then, your flights are heavily limited to near No-Wind conditions?! Perhaps Robert's larger copters can handle normal conditions.

Since you mentioned the GoPro, I have a GoPro Wide but find it mostly useless. Controls too fiddly, need gobs of light and you cannot be farther than 2M before everything turns 'fisheye'. I find the the typical Flip-style cams to be better for most of my projects because I can make a simple mount/holder for almost anything. It is difficult to adapt a WA lens to one, but I mounted it to the holder, rather than the cam. This is a clip off one of my kites - the cam was probably a VADO HD .. or one of the other $100 Ebay cams I have. I am quite sure, now that CISCO has paid $600Mil for the Flip company, that we will see more/better small cams soon. Cheers.

Jim

http://wetstuff.com/movie/2min_aztk2.mov