DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Daddy needs an RC helicopter.... a **BIG** RC helicopter! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/485420-daddy-needs-rc-helicopter-big-rc-helicopter.html)

Dylan Couper September 28th, 2010 05:57 PM

Daddy needs an RC helicopter.... a **BIG** RC helicopter!

I'm investing in an RC helicopter camera rig. I'm starting small and learning to fly them first, with something built for the DSLR (and simulation software!).

Within 4-6 months, I'll be in the market for a RC helo big enough that it will be able to hold an HVX200, EX1, or preferably a Red One.

And this is where my knowledge runs out. Does anyone know of an RC helo setup that can carry a rig this size? Budget unknown at this point, but expecting to pay a bundle.

Or if anyone knows the RC helicopter version of DVinfo, can you point me there?

Thanks!

Dale Guthormsen September 28th, 2010 06:09 PM

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-7d-s...licopters.html

You may have already been here, it might be a start.

Tom Majeski September 28th, 2010 06:46 PM

I've been flying them for years. The two big heli forums are Home - RunRyder RC Helicopter and Helifreak.com - Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect . You have to wade through a lot of childish garbage on runryder, but it does have decent heli video information.
Aerial Photography and Video - Page 1 - RunRyder RC Helicopter

Lots of people are using large electric helis that can lift 5 pounds for 10 minutes, larger setups like a Red, you're gonna need something like a Bergen Observer heli. Expect to pay $4000 ready to carry a camera.

If you're made of money, for $9K you can get a complete GPS auto flight system. You just tell it via Google maps where you want it to fly, how long to hover, what altitude, ect.

Tom Majeski September 28th, 2010 07:00 PM

Dylan, forgot to tell you...

In tis post 9/11 anti terrorist law passing frenzy, now model helicopters that carry video cameras are under close scrutiny and fall under gov restrictions. Lots of people poopoo this and "fly under the radar" so to speak. Flying over puplic property, or over uninvited private property sometimes results in FAA and other federal fines. An organization called the AMA (Acadamy of Model Aeronautics) covers me for $2M of liability insurance, should I crash into a building or person. As soon as I use my heli for commercial profit, that insurance is dropped and I have to get private insurance.

Ahh, Vancouver...nevermind - lol

Allan Black September 28th, 2010 11:25 PM

Dylan, did you look at one of these jiggers might be a more interesting proposition, then rent the chopper.

Kenyon Labs stabilizers

Cheers.

John Cash September 29th, 2010 10:24 AM

as mentioned before, start reading at helifreak.com and APlanding.com both have forums dedicated to ap-av work.

" Within 4-6 months, I'll be in the market for a RC helo big enough that it will be able to hold an HVX200, EX1, or preferably a Red One."

I hope you can do it in 4-6 months. I started two years ago and Im just now at the level I can confidently fly.....and build the heli I need. Then you will eed to learn about chasing vibrations and balancing the head ect.
You are headed in the right direction, get you a G5 simulator and a used Trex 500 off helifreak , find a local R/C club or shop with someone who is willing to "buddy box" you and you can start trying to fly

Also invest in an FMA co-pilot 2 system as you learn to fly. Its about 200 dollars but it will save you hundreds in crash parts . R/C helis have a very steep learning curve

Please, dont take this as dicouragement, just telling you the right steps to go in as I have been down the road you want to go on

Good Luck, and enjoy because it is a load of fun

P.S.- if you are married the wife will hate you

Jim Snow September 29th, 2010 01:55 PM

Another thing you should keep in mind is that it's very irresponsible to fly one of these rigs over people. It's very reckless to the point of being criminal to do so. The risk of crashing into someone is a very real possibility. Oh sure you might get a great shot to overfly a wedding for example. But you also may ruin the day or even seriously injure someone - or worse. The most frightening of all are those who would poo-poo the risk.

John Cash September 29th, 2010 02:24 PM

Another route you may want to explore is the Gaui 330x and the MK octocopter. They are the latest and greatest thing on helifreak. They are much easier to fly, more stable and safer than an RC heli. Limited payloads right now but in 6 months to a year you should be able to buy a complete kit with stabilization and gps that will haul a ex1 or red

Dylan Couper October 1st, 2010 12:09 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm signed up on Helifreak and am eyeballs deep in learning!
Buying a Eske Honey Bee now to start learning/crashing on, probably a Trex 600 after that.

The stabilizers look like a necessity, will start looking in to those too.

Will be back with more questions later! :)

Dean Sensui October 1st, 2010 05:29 AM

Dylan...

I would suggest getting a helicopter that has locally available parts. In my case it's a Trex 450. I hadn't gotten very far as I don't have much time to devote to it. I will, eventually.

Another suggestion: Radd's school of helicopter training.

RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT?

If you follow his instructions faithfully, you'll get into hovering without breaking anything. Baby steps and patience.

Have fun!

Dylan Couper October 2nd, 2010 09:00 AM

Great link Dean, bookmarked and reading, thanks!

BTW, Helifreak is awesome!

Paul R Johnson October 2nd, 2010 12:15 PM

Here in the UK, flying big r/c planes and helicopters means dealing with the same authority as you do with 'real' aircraft. The rules are pretty tight - which puts plenty of people off.

Robert Turchick October 2nd, 2010 12:47 PM

Here's a decent link to give you an idea what you're in for investment-wise. To carry the size camera you want is not going to be cheap!

RC HELICOPTER CAMERA for sale

This is for an electric. If you want more flight time, there are turbine kits available.

As someone who's flown rc aircraft and helis for over 20 years I will recommend a different route for learning.

First is the sim which you should pretty much live on for a month before even trying a real heli. Make sure you turn on all the realism settings and the bulk of your time should be spent hovering. This should be a regimented routine.

Lift off and hover a couple of inches off the ground for 2 min with the tail towards you. Then another 2 min with the left side facing you, then right side facing you, then the nose facing you. Once you've mastered those four attitudes, turn all of them 45 deg.
Once again, make sure the sim has some variable random wind affecting the heli during this stage of training.

Next do all the same exercises at "eye level"

Next up is the same set of exercises but with the heli higher so you're looking up at a 45 deg angle at it.

If I'm keeping track, this is 48 exercises so far. And all need to be perfectly controlled hovers to move to the next steps.

To add some variety, next thing is to practice turning the heli in a hover from one position to another. All altitudes and attitudes should be mastered.

Your hover is the single most important thing and by mastering all the various moves and attitudes possible, the rest becomes easy.

After the sim work, you will start back at the beginning with the real helicopter.

If you're interested, I can write up a list of things to practice before even buying a real heli.

Next point I want to offer is what real heli to learn on. Since you eventually want to fly a large heli, there's really no point in messing with the tiny electrics. They are much less stable and will provide frustration in the learning process. I'd recommend a used .60 nitro or a gas heli that has been professionally built (or built by someone who knows what theyre doing) These will provide you with much longer flying times which will be important when you are learning. Most of my students would fly at least an hour a day...actual flying time, not time standing around.

Parts are a concern but fed ex is your friend!
Trips to your local rc clubs are the best place to meet experienced people and don't be afraid to ask questions. Tell them what you want to do.

Feel free to email me with further questions. It's a great hobby and adding the videography aspect to it can be very profitable.

You cannot skimp on the training. Experience can be gained quickly but just like anything, it's all about the effort you put in to it.
This is for your safety and the safety of anyone or anything you might fly near. Its not a matter of "if you crash", it's "when you will crash"
It will also save your wallet when you start flying a large camera!

Dean Sensui October 2nd, 2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 1574613)
Dylan...

I would suggest getting a helicopter that has locally available parts. In my case it's a Trex 450. I hadn't gotten very far as I don't have much time to devote to it. I will, eventually.

Another suggestion: Radd's school of helicopter training.

RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT?

If you follow his instructions faithfully, you'll get into hovering without breaking anything. Baby steps and patience.

Have fun!

Dylan... on Helifreak my "handle" is "Windbreaker". I'm not too active posting there but I do read it regularly.

The local hobby shop where I get replacement parts is also a well-known fishing tackle shop, too. And I do both. Not a good place to go if I'm trying to save money!

Here's what I was considering to lift a heavy payload if I ever get the funds and the time to get skilled at this:

KX018001A Align TREX 700 Nitro Super Pro Combo Helicopter Kit (No Engine)
Align T-Rex 700 Flybarless Main Rotor Housing, grips and swash driver
Futaba S9252 Digital All Purpose Servos
LE-713FBL EDGE 713mm Premium CF Blades (flybarless)

SK-720 Flybarless System

115T Microheli main gear

Gasser conversion kit
HeliBug
Zenoah G260RC engine

Zimmerman muffler

Sport BEC, Dimension Engineering
5v or 6v output, 3.5A
Can run 4 to 6 digital servos.

Futaba 10CHG 10Ch 2.4GHz Integrated Heli Tx/Rx Mode 2. Includes receiver.

Pilot's camera: DX201 DPS camera
900MHz 500mW audio/video transmitter

Robert Turchick October 2nd, 2010 03:25 PM

Just skimmed through RADD's course and it's much more thorough than my brief overview above. It's good stuff though so read it all!

Liam Hall October 10th, 2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1573881)
Dylan, did you look at one of these jiggers might be a more interesting proposition, then rent the chopper.

Kenyon Labs stabilizers

Cheers.

These are a complete waste of time for helicopter shooting with a DSLR - really good for Steadicam type shots if you don't need sound, but on a helicopter they are nothing more than ballast. I find simple bungee cords work better - depending on which country you are in they may or may not be legal.