DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Aerial Footage with GoPro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/495751-aerial-footage-gopro.html)

Chuck Spaulding May 11th, 2011 12:34 AM

Aerial Footage with GoPro

I haven't posted here in a while. I've been messing around with a Gaui 330X and a Gorpo. Most, but not all shots are with the GoPro and a 330X Quad. I have some ground shots from a 7D that I used as transitions and for a little continuity.

The GoPro quality isn't that good, nor are my piloting skills but this is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.

John Threat May 11th, 2011 09:19 AM

Re: Aerial Footage with GoPro

WHOA!

Dude thanks for sharing this. This is awesome! Excellent work!

Paul Mailath May 14th, 2011 05:29 AM

I'm really tempted to have a go at this - I've been looking at the Gaui and I think it will take a Lumix GF1 with a 20mm lens.

How easy is it to fly? did you have experience with RC heli's before?

I notice some of the shots have stabilisation applied but other don't and look pretty good (it all looks pretty good but some shots stand out)

I've purchased a flight simulator to have a go and a mate has suggested a few models of RC helicopter to cut my teeth on but it sounds like a big learning curve. I don't want to spend the $ if I'm going to flatten it against a tree the 2nd time out.

Simon Denny May 14th, 2011 05:36 AM

Thanks Chuck,
I've been thinking about adding this to my kit with a GoPro.
How is this thing to fly with a bit of wind?

How are you mounting the GoPro?

Cheers

Chuck Spaulding May 16th, 2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1649035)
I'm really tempted to have a go at this - I've been looking at the Gaui and I think it will take a Lumix GF1 with a 20mm lens.

How easy is it to fly? did you have experience with RC heli's before?

I notice some of the shots have stabilisation applied but other don't and look pretty good (it all looks pretty good but some shots stand out)

I've purchased a flight simulator to have a go and a mate has suggested a few models of RC helicopter to cut my teeth on but it sounds like a big learning curve. I don't want to spend the $ if I'm going to flatten it against a tree the 2nd time out.

Sorry for not replying sooner.

I tried flying RC Helicopters but quickly came tot he realization that it was much harder than it looked. A friend emailed me an article about quad copters so I gave that a shot. I've been doing this for a little over four months, so I'm not a pro but I'm encouraged how quickly I could get to the point where I could shoot aerial video [even if its only with the GoPro].

Its not that difficult to fly in a breeze, 5-10 knots but the wind greatly reduces your odds for good video. When I purchased mine there weren't a lot of choices for flight controllers, the GU344, which is the FC for the 330X, doesn't have altitude or position and hold, two features that would help improve AP work, but there are more FC's available now.

Here are a couple more of the same type of practice videos:

I just used the GoPro tripod mount and bolted it directly to the bottom of the quad.

Mary Crowley May 16th, 2011 06:45 AM

Damn you Chuck! You've just added an RC Helicopter to my 'To Buy' list!

I love that footage and you've given me loads of ideas for upcoming projects! Well done! And thank you, but damn you!

John Threat July 24th, 2011 07:41 AM

What other flight controllers are available for this thing?

Tom Hardwick July 24th, 2011 08:22 AM

Chuck - have you somehow magically bought the only GoPro in the world that doesn't have barrel distortion figures up in the 40% arena? Or are you doing clever things on your timeline while you're stabilising the images?

tom.

Prech Marton August 22nd, 2011 02:14 PM

You can use a barrel distorsion filter in virtualdub, but of course this blur the picture a little at the edges.
I also like to buy RC airplane or this Gaui. Which is the best for smooth movement?
An Easystar airplane or Gaui 330?

Chuck Spaulding August 31st, 2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prech Marton (Post 1676801)
You can use a barrel distorsion filter in virtualdub, but of course this blur the picture a little at the edges.
I also like to buy RC airplane or this Gaui. Which is the best for smooth movement?
An Easystar airplane or Gaui 330?

The Easystar is probably smoother and a little easier to control. but obviously it wont hover so it really depends on the type of shots you want to get. There are some great alternatives to the Gaui 330X now that make them better for AP work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1669640)
Chuck - have you somehow magically bought the only GoPro in the world that doesn't have barrel distortion figures up in the 40% arena? Or are you doing clever things on your timeline while you're stabilising the images?

tom.

Tom, no magic I just changed from the stock lens to the Sunex lens to get rid of the barrel distortion, because of the narrower DOF it makes it more difficult to get smooth shots. I'm looking for a camera that can shoot 1080P60 of course then I need to build a bigger multi-rotor. It never ends : )

Prech Marton September 1st, 2011 05:08 AM

"There are some great alternatives to the Gaui 330X now "

tell me more about it!

Chuck Spaulding September 2nd, 2011 01:54 AM

If you want the kind of stability required for good AP work with enough payload to carry a DSLR your probably going to have to build it yourself, but there are some great flight controllers and frames available to build exactly what you might need.

Here's a couple:

OpenPilot CopterControl Board - OpenPilot - Open Source UAV Autopilot

MultiWiiCopter — Frontpage

Here's some pictures of the quad and hexacopter I'm building.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket