DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Aerial videography: Autumn or Spring? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/501700-aerial-videography-autumn-spring.html)

Scott Wilkinson October 17th, 2011 09:18 AM

Aerial videography: Autumn or Spring?

Hi---just soliciting a few quick opinions here.

We're in the throes of deciding on an expensive (helicopter with gyro-stabilized camera) aerial shoot to get updated HD footage of our campus.

The current debate is over whether or not we need to have 100% leaf cover on all the trees. Right now (in our area) some---but not all---of the leaves have fallen. Several on our team are concerned by this, perceiving that any bare branches will be ugly.

I'm not personally convinced that's the case. There are still plenty of leaves on the trees, and there are some brilliant fall colors.

So what do you think? Is it better to depict a university campus on a sunny fall morning with some foliage missing? Or better to wait 'til May or June and do the shoot with everything full and green?

Scott

Jerry Porter October 17th, 2011 09:27 AM

Re: Aerial videography: Autumn or Spring?

Nothing messes up footage like that more than humidity. I say go for a crisp fall morning.

Allan Black October 17th, 2011 04:24 PM

+1. Maybe ask these guys :) play the vid.

Navy Swimmer: Mountain Rescue & Sea Rescue Sequences | Hurlbut Visuals

Cheers.

Jerry Porter October 17th, 2011 04:48 PM

Thanks for that link it was pretty awesome footage.

Jim Michael October 17th, 2011 06:36 PM

I was out flying yesterday and the visibility was excellent, at least 50 miles. And this is near Atlanta where the air typically isn't all that pristine. Also, when you think college campus don't you think of the crisp fall days when school first starts? I'd definitely shoot the fall foliage. Viewers' eyes will be attracted more to the nice colors than any gaps that might exist in the tree cover.

Bob Hart October 17th, 2011 10:57 PM

Very early morning autumn ( your fall ) on a clear day just after sun-up before the angle is too high, facing WNW, highlights will be bright, deep light penetration into recesses for otherwise hidden detail, architecture highlights may show better through thinning canopy, autumn colours, hopefully early morning still air before any bumps kick in. Deep overhead viewpoints will see long shadows and dark voids between structures so it may not be what you want. Choose a camera which can handle the contrast.

Cameraworking aside, there are simply few sweeter times of the day to be in the air, a great gig to be on for sure.

Allan Black October 18th, 2011 04:02 PM

The chopper guys won't like this, but a big stable cherry picker for a few selective special shots, might be more economical to cover more seasonal changes.

Cheers.

Marty Jenoff October 22nd, 2011 04:10 AM

I think now would be fine, but I wouldn't wait much longer. I think it also depends how you want the campus to look - like a nice fall day with colorful leaves and people wearing pants and long shirts or sweaters or a hot summer day with people wearing shorts and t shirts. Summer time can sometimes be difficult with humidity and location of the sun.

If you're looking for another estimate with HD aerial service, I can give you one. I offer those services. I"m based in the Baltimore area.