Smallest Heli/Plane I can mount GoPro - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old November 21st, 2011, 04:57 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Smallest Heli/Plane I can mount GoPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Hay View Post
How does the on board video look? Can someone post a video of there iPad/iPhone while they are flying the drone, interested in seeing how choppy/leggy the video is. Can't wait to get mine.
It's pretty poor at 640x360 at about 15fps. It's enough to fly by but not use seriously. You even need to buy the 3rd-party app Flight Recorder to actually record the video. You should be able to find loads of video on YouTube demonstrating Flight Recorder but here is one to be going on with. The first half of the video is a view of the drone flying & the second half is the view from the flying drone.
I believe that Flight Recorder can trigger still photographs too which could be marginally more useable. While Googling I even found a guy who has written an app to take panoramic photos from the done Matt Keeter // ARPan
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:25 AM   #32
Major Player

The application is Drone Ace Nigel.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM   #33
Major Player

Thanks Nigel,

I would never use the inboard for an actual video, my interest is how smooth does it look in order to use it for fine controls of the AR Drone when doing pans around large structures like a house or statue where I can't see the drone 100% of the time.
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Don, Download Drone Ace in the iTunes App Store looks great. I have just purchased it but sadly it is now dark here so I can only take the drone for a trip round the living room:-)

Graeme, I haven't yet had the confidence to fly blind by relying on the view from the iPhone alone but the image quality is certainly good enough to aim the camera accurately. I do have an iPad as well but find that the iPhone feels more comfortable in my hands for controlling the drone.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #35
Major Player

Anyone know how long it takes to get that mount from Norway to the US?
Old November 26th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Litten View Post
Anyone know how long it takes to get that mount from Norway to the US?
I'm still waiting for mine after 10 days & I am much nearer to Norway here in the UK. I have sent an email to enquire where it has got to but have had no reply. It's a shame as I could have used it for a paying gig this weekend.
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #37
Major Player

Go my AR Drone, need some practice flying but encouragabl results. Next step is to get the GOPro Ounted and then go from there with some te shots and flybys. Videos soon!
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #38
Major Player

I just watched your video Nigel. That's pretty country!

Good looking video. What camera are you using?
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Just FYI, here's what I've gone through on my own quest for aerial videos.

It didn't require me to answer three questions to avoid being thrown into a chasm (what is your name? what is your quest? what is your favorite color?).

I've been messing with a T-Rex 450 helicopter for the past couple of years. Took a break for several months while I reconsidered after crashing and not being able to get past simple hovering.

I have a pilot's license and could land an airplane on a specific spot on any runway so I had a decent skill level. But I discovered RC helicopters were different. REALLY different.

For anyone doing this for the first time and wants to learn how to fly an RC helicopter, take the time to religiously follow these lessons before attempting to get off the ground: RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT?

RADD's school of rotary flight. It's a series of baby steps to get you familiar with how it works. But even with that, seriously consider investing in Skookum Robotics' SK-720. It can help you keep the helicopter level and controllable. Don't spend money on simulators. Just get the SK-720, set it up properly, and teach yourself to fly.

What made a difference (breakthrough) was the SK-720. It self-leveled the helicopter when things got bad, and I was able to power-out of any bad situation before it turned to wreckage. Almost all of them.

I played around with a T-Rex 450 that was never intended to lift anything other than itself. I fitted a GoPro on it, just because someone else did. Then the Replay 1080XD. Images that I got from that setup were OK but just OK.

To get acceptable footage means putting a better camera up there, and that's a lot more weight. More weight means more power and bigger batteries which means more weight and more power and bigger batteries …

In a conventional single-rotor helicopter, a tail rotor keeps the aircraft oriented in any particular direction and that takes a lot of power…. that's not being applied to lifting the payload (camera), and for us, that's the point.

As we're all interested in getting aerial video, I would suggest looking at the multi-rotor designs. All the power is directed to lifting the mass.

Conventional single-rotor designs also feature a main rotor that's about 3 feet in diameter or more, spinning at 1800 RPM or more. That's considerable potential to maim people. If you need to be in the air for a half-hour, you'll have to turn to gas engines and conventional single-rotor helicopters. If not, then look closely at multi-rotor helicopters.

Multi-rotor designs can also badly lacerate bystanders, but if the props are shrouded, then incidental contact can become harmless unless someone's hair gets caught in a prop. Big safety factor.

But take note: Multi-rotors require stabilization systems to keep them level and controllable. They are not expensive.

So while experimenting with POV cameras and off-the-shelf systems can provide a great first taste of this unique perspective, keep in mind what else is out there. And it will not break the bank. Just have to do the research and buy smart.

Aloha,
Dean.
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #40
Major Player

I wouldn't get in a hurry Nigel.
I got this email today:

I will send you a new email as soon as i have got the Mount manufactured and sent out.
I will work as fast as i can and try to get it to you as soon as possible.

Best regards
Daniel.
Old December 25th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post

For anyone doing this for the first time and wants to learn how to fly an RC helicopter, take the time to religiously follow these lessons before attempting to get off the ground: RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT?

RADD's school of rotary flight. It's a series of baby steps to get you familiar with how it works.
Thanks for the link to this Dean. It's clearly full of useful information if you can endure his huge ego and constant bantering. A straightforward version would have 75% fewer words.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras