DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   3ccd HD camcorder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/505283-3ccd-hd-camcorder.html)

John Cash February 15th, 2012 03:33 PM

3ccd HD camcorder?

I have a helicopter shoot and the client is demanding an HD 3ccd camera. No DSLR they say.

Is there any HD 3ccd cameras sold these days?

Ones I know

Canon XHa1
Sony FX1,FX7,and Z1u
Pany HVX100,200

What about consumer camcorders? Smaller would be better. Heli can lift 5lbs no problem but Im looking for a consumer model

Thanks

Craig W. Scribner February 15th, 2012 05:35 PM

Re: 3ccd HD camcorder?

You might consider the Panasonic HDC-TM900. It has 3 CMOS (not CCD) sensors and is .87 pounds without a battery. Reviews have been excellent and you can get one at B & H Photo for $719.99.

Matt Sharp February 15th, 2012 07:16 PM

Also the JVC HM150U.

Chris Medico February 15th, 2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cash (Post 1715323)
I have a helicopter shoot and the client is demanding an HD 3ccd camera. No DSLR they say.

Do you realize that as soon as you say the word "client" you are opening yourself up to administrative action by the FAA?

Commercial flying of a camera with a UAV is currently illegal in the USA.

Jim Michael February 15th, 2012 09:52 PM

No one is going to pay attention until they pick someone to make an example of. Same applies to gluing GoPros to the exterior of GA aircraft.

Chris Medico February 15th, 2012 10:05 PM

Ah yes but they have. Its just not been highly publicized. Yet. Its coming.

The short answer is - do not offer such services for hire within the USA.

If you choose to do it you will only be recording the evidence needed to earn yourself an administrative action (fine). The rules of guilt aren't the same under administrative law. You are NOT innocent until proven guilty under administrative law.

Anyone thinking about shooting video or photos from a UAV for hire should read this page - mi6films.com aerial cinematography rc helicopters video 1080p Canon 7d

And this one - Fact Sheet – Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)

John Cash February 16th, 2012 01:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris- shooting from an RC heli is not illegal. There is an FAA directive aginst it, but thats not illegal. Laws are enfoceable. A directive is used to bully.

besides, who said USA?

Jim Michael February 16th, 2012 02:12 PM

Just an FYI who might be so inclined, there are FAA regulations that can be used against you, even when they don't have a specific anti-rc flying regulation. E.g. Sec. 91.13 — Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

I don't think what you are doing falls under part 91, but I think you catch my drift.

Have fun in Mexico :-)

Adam Gold February 17th, 2012 12:46 AM

Getting back on topic, we should note that the FX7 is not CCD -- it and its cousin the V1 are CMOS.

Kevin McRoberts February 22nd, 2012 08:09 AM

Prosumer:
Z1U/FX1
HVX200/200a
HPX170
HMC150
XHA1

Consumer:
JVC Everio GZ-HD3
Panasonic HDC-SD5

Lee Mullen February 26th, 2012 11:53 PM

JVC HM100 are going for good prices now and are a great camera.