DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   What camera/deck for analog feed from thermal scope. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/514580-what-camera-deck-analog-feed-thermal-scope.html)

Tom Gresham February 25th, 2013 04:41 PM

What camera/deck for analog feed from thermal scope.

We need to capture the video from a thermal scope.

ATN ThOR 320 2X (30Hz) TIWSMT322C - Thermal Weapon Sight - ATN Night Vision Equipment

Looks like it has an optional cable (RCA?). I'm guessing that's analog.

It's certainly not HD. So, what camera or deck can I use to capture this video?

We have Canon XF100 and XF105s, Sony NEX FS700, and Sony HVR-V1U (HDV). I don't see any analog inputs.

I could use some help on this.

Allan Black February 25th, 2013 06:51 PM

Re: What camera/deck for analog feed from thermal scope.

Looks like your ATN has a video and computer out. Can you try recording the output to a hard drive?

Cheers.

Battle Vaughan February 25th, 2013 08:03 PM

You might consider an av/dv converter like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/312315-REG/Grass_Valley_602005_ADVC_55_Analog_to_Digital.html
It will take an analog video signal -- audio as well, fwiw --- and convert it to a digital stream. It requires a computer with firewire and a video capture program which reads it -- such as your video editing software. The converter is powered by firewire so it would be suitable for field use with a firewire device.

Your Sony HVR has an iLink port (what Sony calls firewire) but I am unable to discover if that port has a vtr function or is output only. If there is a vtr function on this camera then you could feed the firewire from the converter to that port.

Tom Gresham February 25th, 2013 10:17 PM

Thanks, Battle.

Not sure how we would connect to a computer from this rifle scope while running through the woods at night.

I'm going to check with the makers of the optic to see how they capture video from it.

Battle Vaughan February 25th, 2013 11:42 PM

Hmm, perhaps you could record from the av/dv device to a standalone recorder such as this: MCE QuickStream DV - Portable, FireWire DV Capture Drive

I assume that the DV signal from the converter would be the same as if recording from a camera output, so this might work -- that is, the av/dv converter connects to your scope, the recorder to the av/dv device. I think a chat with the quickstream people would be advisable before investing....one question would be if the recorder firewire port can power the converter...if not there are other such converters that run off ac wall warts, I have made battery packs for such devices to power them in the field, as they usually run off 9 or 12 volts DC provided by the ac power supply.

Tom Gresham February 26th, 2013 06:32 AM

Hmmmmm.

I have three Focus drives which haven't been used in years. Perhaps that would work?

Mark Watson February 26th, 2013 10:17 AM

This seems like overkill, but it has an RCA type video input. The Sony cameras you mentioned have RCA video jacks, but they are listed as output only. I have this GV-HD700. It's about the bulk of a portable DVD player. You might be able to use your Sony camera batteries to power it. It records to miniDV tape. WIth its screen, you'd be able to monitor the image coming off the scope.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/516841-REG/Sony_GVHD700_1_GV_HD700_HDV_Video_Walkman.html

Battle Vaughan February 26th, 2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Gresham (Post 1781132)
Hmmmmm.

I have three Focus drives which haven't been used in years. Perhaps that would work?

If the question is directed to me, regret I have no experience with Focus drives. If they are portable, easily powered, can be made to accept your scope's signal or a convenient conversion, hey, give it a try...

Jeff Pulera February 26th, 2013 12:14 PM

Google is our friend, entered "portable video recorder with RCA input" and found all kinds of pocket recorders with RCA input that record straight to memory card.

Jeff Pulera

Battle Vaughan February 26th, 2013 01:08 PM

Wow, I think Jeff has nailed it. Here's one example: Stand Alone USB Mini-VCR, Records any Analog Video Input with Remote

Should not be hard to whip up a battery pack to replace the ac/dc adapter, Radio Shack sells battery holders for aa batteries, with the appropriate holder for whatever voltage this gadget needs ( 5 volts, that's odd, but 3 alkaline batteries is 4.5 volts and, iirc, 4 nicads is 4.8 volts) , a little wire and the proper plug, it would be completely field ready. Sure there must be others as well, this one just popped up first. Didn't know they existed, learn something useful at dvinfo.net every day!

Tom Gresham February 27th, 2013 06:09 PM

Thanks for the help. I ordered this one.

Best FPV and UAV device: BEVRC PV700 high quality digital video recorder [PV700]- US$109.99 - www.bevrc.com