Fun With My Toy Phantom Quadcopter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old July 1st, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Fun With My Toy Phantom Quadcopter

Thought I would share what my little toy quadcopter has been getting up too.
Still cannot believe I need a pilots licenses and all the other $$$ tickets to fly this little toy a few feet of the ground for some coin.
As a RC model hobbyist though I can basically do what ever I want with it so it's got nothing to do about safety or privacy....just money....:-)

Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Fun With My Toy Phantom Quadcopter

Nice piloting skills. I assume you are using balanced props and some type of camera vibration isolation.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Trustee

Really nice Paul,
Like Mark said, I assume you are using vibration control of some sort, but you must also be using a gimbal are you not? That was some lovely footage. The compression of Youtube didn't do anything for it, but where it wasn't all pixelated, it looked great!.
Thanks for sharing.
Bryce
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I find this footage very encouraging. I want to get a dji phantom and play around with this a bit.

Is it this ARRIS Gimbal that's helping you get smooth shots? I understand there's a good bit of practice involved and no wind would help a lot but I'm hoping you might share some secrets here! :)

This is really impressive for the price.

M.
Michael Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:14 PM   #5

Hi guys.
Cheers for comments...

Yes i am using the ARRIS gimbal, there is vibration still when flying into the wind or fast.
Slow and steady it does a pretty good job. The tilt function was a hack into the stock transmitter.
I may move the gimbal back out of the props turbulence and try some other vibration eliminating methods.

Props are stocked but balanced.

The GoPro 3 (Black) Protune 30mbps codec breaks down pretty bad with certain shots and of course the raw footage is much better than whats on youtube here.

Going to hit the waterfalls next. :-)
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:03 AM   #6
Major Player

I get the feeling you are quite confident that your phantom will act in a predictable manner. (I'm still afraid mine will just keep going without responding to my frantic twiddling of the sticks.)
If you don't mind telling, how many hours of flight time have you logged? thanks
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:43 AM   #7

Bruce, April 6th was my first Phantom flight, lost count of how many times I have flown it now. :-)

Hardly ever fly in GPS, (too risky) just attitude mode and have full manual mode to switch to if starts doing crazy things on its owns. Overhead wires and mobile phone ringing have spun it out on boot up couple times though. Still on original firmware too.

I have a mini quad (Ladybird) that I have crashed a zillion times which has taught me to fly loops, rolls and banking while turning) so flying this thing now is pretty easy :-)
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #8
New Boot

Great videos, where are they shot? I really like the perspective of flying around the basketball hoop. I am learning to fly a toy quad now with the hope of moving onto something that can fly a gopro in the future. So far I use a battery or two before having to glue it back together again, but I am getting the hang of it.
Gabe Hoeffken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wags View Post
Bruce, April 6th was my first Phantom flight, lost count of how many times I have flown it now. :-)

Hardly ever fly in GPS, (too risky) just attitude mode and have full manual mode to switch to if starts doing crazy things on its owns. Overhead wires and mobile phone ringing have spun it out on boot up couple times though. Still on original firmware too.

I have a mini quad (Ladybird) that I have crashed a zillion times which has taught me to fly loops, rolls and banking while turning) so flying this thing now is pretty easy :-)
I am curious, why would GPS be a "risky" mode?
Herman J. van Ooijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #10
Trustee

I think some believe that NAZA-M +GPS tend to fly away, not sure what the cause for fly away's but the NAZA controller seems to often have "unpredictable" or quirky flight control inputs that can be a little unnerving.

This can also make it more difficult to trust it with expensive camera equipment or flying in close proximity to people etc.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras