DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   UAV shoot-down ordinance in Colorado town? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/517821-uav-shoot-down-ordinance-colorado-town.html)

Chris Hurd July 18th, 2013 11:21 AM

UAV shoot-down ordinance in Colorado town?

Nope, this isn't a story from The Onion... apparently it's for real, from the UK-based Daily Mail:

Quote:

Deer Trail, Colorado—population 500—is considering a permit that would allow its citizens to shoot down unmanned aircraft for cash rewards.
Full story here: Deer Trail, Colorado pushes for bounty on surveillance DRONES | Mail Online

Update: check out the video clip of this news story from the Denver ABC affiliate Ch. 7 published on Jul. 16th:

So... if you're flying your UAV somewhere east of Denver, I'd recommend staying above shotgun range.

Al Gardner July 18th, 2013 01:14 PM

Re: UAV shoot-down ordinance in Colorado town?

That's kind of what you call inciting ignorance.

They admit to have never seen a drone but they're hot to shoot one down. (if they could)

They realize it would be a federal offense, but for the $25 buck price of admission why not?

Ignorance at it's finest.

Robert Benda July 18th, 2013 03:06 PM

Beat me to it, Al. Can you imagine going to federal prison for this?

And how many of them are on Facebook or volunteering their information in other ways?

Allan Black July 18th, 2013 03:58 PM

lol they're just after the publicity, but if anyone tries it, they better get it with the first shot.

Those AF drone jockeys get riled real easy and they can circle overhead 24/7.

Cheers.

Chris Hurd July 19th, 2013 02:39 PM

Now it's on CNN...

Small Colorado town considers drone hunting licenses - CNN.com

Al Gardner July 19th, 2013 02:45 PM

Gotta love these fools. Defending the constitution all of sudden is the big buzz word.

Reminds me of all those Militia guys in the woods preparing to take on the government, until one little bitty bunker buster runs them all back to their day job.

Glen Vandermolen July 20th, 2013 08:02 AM

What round for drones?

Jim Michael July 20th, 2013 08:24 AM

I'll guess the one they used in Turkey was the NATO standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56×45mm_NATO

If you're filming where you aren't wanted your bigger risk might be a laser pointer.

Chris Hurd July 24th, 2013 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You'll need depleted uranium buckshot for drone season.

Michael Dalton July 26th, 2013 08:46 AM

does it scare anyone else, the thought of these guys shooting up into the air?

Jim Andrada July 29th, 2013 03:17 AM

I guess it should really scare the guys that are shooting - they're the ones underneath their own rounds.

Sort of

"I shot a round into the air, it fell to earth to part my hair!.At first it gave me quite a scare, but no big deal, there's no brain there."

Jim Arthurs July 29th, 2013 09:47 AM

Guys, it's just a way for a very small town to have a bit of fun, get wold wide publicity, and generate money selling essentially worthless licenses. Only one guy in the town is actually serious about it and no one takes him ah.. seriously.

Here's something from the Mike Rosen show on AM 850 that should clear it up...

Mike Rosen

July 18th, 9:00AM hour is what you want to click on...

Though, if anyone wants to send me a nice box of depleted uranium buckshot, I'll gladly do some beta testing on some old rusty cement mixers for them... :)

Jim Arthurs

David W. Jones August 4th, 2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1805968)
You'll need depleted uranium buckshot for drone season.

This is the best!

Ralph Gereg August 17th, 2013 12:15 AM

Anybody know what the outcome of the vote was on this?

Steven Digges August 17th, 2013 02:46 PM

Chris,

The buckshot post is hysterical. But.....if you believe anything on the news right now you just lit up every monitor at NSA headquarters with that one. I can hear the discussion in the back room at NSA. "It is some guy in Texas. His alias is Obstreperous Rex. He runs a covert operation on the internet with a following of 30,000 shooters. We have been trying to break their code for years but their cover is video guys. We can't break it. Now we know they have the missing uranium we keep losing."

Hey, what the hell, my screen just flickered three times and now there is something new in my systray. It looks like a logo with three initials......hummmmmmm.....I've been hit...I'm going down....No keyboard control.....all hard drives flashing....nice knowing you guys!!!

Steve