Brooklyn Man Arrested for Crashing Drone in Manhattan - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old October 29th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Brooklyn Man Arrested for Crashing Drone in Manhattan

Current FAA regulations deal with standards for aircraft and things like separation of aircraft in various types of airspace and visibility conditions, e.g. VFR vs. IFR, so I don't see where a certification requirement for pilots and aircraft would be a result of misinformation or anything other than safety concerns. If operators are left to deal with a plethora of local regulations with no consistency, then they are continually at risk from the whims of the local constabulary.

The helicopter scenario is realistic in the situation I've described in a previous thread, several news helicopters and UAVs filming the same news event and each angling for the best view. In qualitative risk analysis you do take probability into account and I agree probability of occurrence is low, however you also take impact into account and in this scenario it's pretty high.

But as I've said previously, I think there has to be a weight class below, and an altitude below which FAA shouldn't care or be involved, commercially or otherwise. This would be the intersection of low risk and low impact.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras