First flight with camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

First flight with camera

Hi,
My first film from a recently purchased Phantom. Gimbal next on the purchase list!! Still much to learn!!

cheers

bill
Bill Sherren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: First flight with camera

Nice video :) A few tips I picked up before I had a gimbal:

Shoot 2.7k and crop to maintain a level horizon. The downside is no 50p/60p in this mode.

Adobe After Effects warp stabiliser is brilliant for smoothing bumpy footage.

To contradict my first tip, try shooting at 1440p. This gives you a lot of extra vertical resolution to play with so you can reframe in your NLE. It also allows you to slow down the video by 50% which makes it look a lot smoother and seems to help with shakey video.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Nice. I want to see some horses running in that field.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for that very helpful advice. I will try both options and see which I like best. Really enjoying flying the Phantom and truly hope I don't get one of those (in)famous "flyaways"! Most might be user/pilot error but I guess that as it is a bit like a flying computer, software glitches & crashes in every sense of the word might occur.

cheers

bill
Bill Sherren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherren View Post
Thanks for that very helpful advice. I will try both options and see which I like best. Really enjoying flying the Phantom and truly hope I don't get one of those (in)famous "flyaways"! Most might be user/pilot error but I guess that as it is a bit like a flying computer, software glitches & crashes in every sense of the word might occur.

cheers

bill
From what I've read, flyways seem to be mostly related to GPS lock issues. If the Phantom starts acting strange, flicking the controlled from GPS to ATTI mode should help in some situations.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Nice video, Bill!
The phantom has been very helpful for me as well.
When filming, ATTI mode often gives a bit more steady footage, especially in windy conditions.
Until you get a gimbal, having the gopro in the underwater housing, gives more steady footage. Less vibrations compared to the camera mount that came with the phantom.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Trond.
I have found the underwater casing has given me better results than expected. I did not even bother using the supplied mount on the Phantom as the extra protection the case gives seems good as well. I am gradually trying the ATTI mode and also used the strong breeze to coast the Phantom along in a few bits of some other video I shot. But I do like the idea of a gimbal giving me consistant level footage. So intend to go for a aeroxcraft gimbal. The price seems fairly reasonable and the results other people have posted look good.
Bill Sherren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras