Ready for test Flight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Ready for test Flight

Today will be the day....if its not too windy

John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Ready for test Flight

Looks great! I'm surprised no one has written saying "don't forget your propellers..."

Actually based on my observations during the last 3 years at the flying club, having seen people arrive after working on an aircraft without remembering their new propeller that's still sitting at home on the counter at the back door, I'll say "don't forget your propellers."

And don't forget to balance your propellers. And don't forget to triple check that the tiny embossed numbers on all 6 props are facing up!

I'm sure you've developed a good check list for such an investment as this, so my comments are more for the other viewers who aren't as experienced as you.

The only other thing I would say is the forward orientation markers (red bands on the front arms and gold anodized motor mounts) are pretty small in my experience. It won't take much distance before they simply appear black and then if your FPV fails or your copilot on the buddy box has to take over, you'll have to "think" about which landing skid is which color.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing your video and photo results!
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Major Player

I use LED's on the booms for orientation. Those red stickers are just "Tarot" brand markings. Like the decals on Nascar Bodies

Test flight was sucessful, flies like a dream. Small adjustments now. Not too happy with the camera Im using though. may be time to go for a GH3
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Trustee

I see the LED's along the bottom of each front boom now. Are they different colors? How is their visibility in bright sunlight?
Which Canon body do you have mounted in the photo above?

Glad to hear the flight went well!
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Major Player

They are red in front green in back. They are not too good in daylight but you can easily see the color of the foam on the skids. They are really bright at dusk or night. With a combonation of bright foam noodles, keeping an eye on the monitor and several years at flying helis it all kinda comes together. There can be "pucker moments" but if your GPS is caled and your equipment works like it should you can stop and "regroup" in the air if needed.
These multirotors are a wlk in the park compaired to the 800 size heli I have but it too has DJI Ace One with GPS and it can be left to hang in one spot if you need to calm yourself during flight.

Im carring a Canon T3i ( meh) but Im looking for a good used 5D or may go with a Black Magic Pocket Camera or Panny GH3.

I have a friend with the BMPC and He is coming over so we can et it ready for flight ( rebalance the gimbal/camera, tune PID's ect)

Im really happy with the stability of the footage I got yesterday evening but I had the camera on auto for video and the video looks so bad I have to reshoot tonight before I can post up footage
John Cash is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras