Tarot T-2D DJI Phantom Tutorial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Tarot T-2D DJI Phantom Tutorial

Hello,

I recently fitted a Tarot T-2D Gimbal to my DJI Phantom (V1.1.1) and hooked up the gimbal control, it took me a lot of research and thinking to get the gimbal control set up and working correctly and I also fabricated my own quick release mount for the gimbal.

I was considering creating a tutorial to take the confusion out for people who also want to fit this gimbal, I thought I would just see if anyone was interested first though.

So would anyone be interested in a tutorial on fitting the Tarot T-2D?
Thanks
Dave Behrens
David Behrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Tarot T-2D DJI Phantom Tutorial

I would definitely be interested in whatever you have to share. I don't have a phantom, but I do have the Tarot gimbal waking to be installed on a different hexacopter. Slowly but surely researching and learning about how all the systems work before I take her up on a maiden flight.
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm In
I've grounded my phantom and have it in it's hanger whilst I find and install a gimbal. the tarrot looks good and is half the price or even less than the zenmuse
Yes please
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
I'm In
I've grounded my phantom and have it in it's hanger whilst I find and install a gimbal. the tarrot looks good and is half the price or even less than the zenmuse
Yes please
Yeah I looked at the zenmuse, then looked at the price and quickly moved on hah, I believe the Tarot is a good compromise of value/quality if you have the skills to fit it. It pretty much matches the performance of the zenmuse and the build quality is excellent.

See my test footage here:

Hopefully I can find some time to put a tut together, busy the next two weekends, but i'll see how i go.
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Yep, that sure looks like Maryborough. I was trying to work out which part!

Maybe you could replace the audio with some nice music... That looks like a pretty impressive setup. How high did you get it to go?
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Dave
Will your tutorial apply to this gimbal from HobbyK: Tarot T-2D V2 GoPRO 3 Brushless Camera Gimbal and ZYX22 Controller?
My phantom is original vintage which I gather is similar to yours.
Think I might order it tomorrow shortly
On a side note, I had a sony rx100 slung under my phantom and was able to produce 1/2 decent (or less) results but too heavy overall.
So it's back to the gopro3Black and a tarot gimbal for me
Any encouragement I can offer for the tutorial?
tks
Bruce
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Hi Dave
Will your tutorial apply to this gimbal from HobbyK: Tarot T-2D V2 GoPRO 3 Brushless Camera Gimbal and ZYX22 Controller?
My phantom is original vintage which I gather is similar to yours.
Think I might order it tomorrow shortly
On a side note, I had a sony rx100 slung under my phantom and was able to produce 1/2 decent (or less) results but too heavy overall.
So it's back to the gopro3Black and a tarot gimbal for me
Any encouragement I can offer for the tutorial?
tks
Bruce
Thanks Bruce, sure you are offering encouragement!

Does your phantom controller have gimbal control on the back? (little white lever)
It is almost essential to have some sort of control otherwise you cannot change the pitch of the gimbal.
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Drat..it does not
I'll hunt around for an upgraded tx with the gimbal pitch lever on the back , I don't want to replace the whole quad.
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Bruce:
If you don't mind opening up your TX you can buy the DJI gimbal lever and fit it yourself. If you do buy another TX it would be worth seeing if any dealers offer a TX with a knob fitted to the front of the TX. I brought another TX with just such a control fitted on the front. And it offers a much better control and range for adjusting the gimbal angle. Many people also have fitted this type of control to the front- but my DIY skills are poor so went for one already fitted!

bill
Bill Sherren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #10
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Behrens View Post
Hello,

I recently fitted a Tarot T-2D Gimbal to my DJI Phantom (V1.1.1) and hooked up the gimbal control, it took me a lot of research and thinking to get the gimbal control set up and working correctly and I also fabricated my own quick release mount for the gimbal.

I was considering creating a tutorial to take the confusion out for people who also want to fit this gimbal, I thought I would just see if anyone was interested first though.

So would anyone be interested in a tutorial on fitting the Tarot T-2D?
Thanks
Dave Behrens
Dave,

I too own a Phantom V1.1.1 and am checking out 2-D gimbals. I'd be very interested in both your tutorial regarding the Tarot T-2D setup as well as your quick release design.

Do you have any pictures showing all the interfaces?

Any idea how well the T-2D supports cameras other than the GoPro (i.e. Sony HDR-AS30V and Mobius)?

Fred L.
Fred Lampart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherren View Post
Bruce:
If you don't mind opening up your TX you can buy the DJI gimbal lever and fit it yourself. If you do buy another TX it would be worth seeing if any dealers offer a TX with a knob fitted to the front of the TX. I brought another TX with just such a control fitted on the front. And it offers a much better control and range for adjusting the gimbal angle. Many people also have fitted this type of control to the front- but my DIY skills are poor so went for one already fitted!
bill
Hi Bill
Yes and all that precision soldering of 8 leads to replace the tx board with the new one has me worried a bit I must say.
I probably should find an tx which has been upgraded by a skilled tech. (not my area although I most likely could accomplish the task albeit untidily and of questionable reliability.)
btw did you find a dji unit or was it another and if so a model number would be welcome
Old February 13th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Lampart View Post
Do you have any pictures showing all the interfaces?

Any idea how well the T-2D supports cameras other than the GoPro (i.e. Sony HDR-AS30V and Mobius)?
Thanks for your response Fred,
Yes i do have some pictures, I was unsure where to host them so i just put them on imgur.
Here is an image side on with the gimbal stabiliser fitted into the quick release, you can see how the polished aluminum mount hooks under the gimbal and the other mount coming up from the gimbal(very left of pic) has a screw which screws directly into the phantom.

Here are some images on the mount itself, it is very simple, the other mounting hole was drilled out to fit in the front screw hole of the phantom mount system. Works like a charm.

Quote:
Hi Bill
Yes and all that precision soldering of 8 leads to replace the tx board with the new one has me worried a bit I must say.
I probably should find an tx which has been upgraded by a skilled tech. (not my area although I most likely could accomplish the task albeit untidily and of questionable reliability.)
btw did you find a dji unit or was it another and if so a model number would be welcome
Bruce,
After using my standard V1.1.1 Phantom with the gimbal control I would highly suggest a controller with some form of knob etc if it is a resonable solution for your situation, as the phantom stock control has a large amount of play in the movement and it is also exceptionally hard to find the middle position so the tilt stops moving.
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Major Player

the futaba t8j model LXBWGR has a nice big knob a bit pricey but I'm going to get it
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras