DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   DJI releases Phantom 2 Vision Plus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/522837-dji-releases-phantom-2-vision-plus.html)

Paulo Teixeira April 18th, 2014 05:32 AM

DJI releases Phantom 2 Vision Plus

Phantom 2 Vision+ | DJI

Here's a video I shot at NAB 2014 of DJI reps going over some of their products including their handheld gimbals and Phantom 2 Vision Plus. It also shows a flight demonstration of the new Vision Plus.

Paulo Teixeira April 27th, 2014 12:04 AM

Re: DJI releases Phantom 2 Vision Plus

Here's the official announcement video:

Scott Wilkinson April 28th, 2014 08:50 AM

Interesting. As some know, I've been researching an entry-level or intermediate-level package for our university. I've been looking at bigger packages (e.g. an F550 hexcopter)...but the introduction of the Vision Plus is starting to make me wonder why I need more than what this offers?

My needs aren't heavy-duty at the moment. I'm fine with GoPro-quality footage, and will only be doing line-of-sight flying. Given this, it seems like the Vision Plus would be a great way to get into aerial videography.

I'll be curious to hear the shortcomings of the Vision Plus---on the assumption that there are always shortcomings.

But at the moment, it's looking very attractive. Now the only question is...how soon could I actually get one if I wanted it?

ALSO: what's the difference between the Zenmuse 3D gimbal and the one on the Vision Plus? (Is it possible that DJI has put all their effort into perfecting this 3D gimbal...and not the Zenmuse, which is why there still seem to be issues with the Zenmuse?)

Scott

Chuck Spaulding May 1st, 2014 03:22 PM

Its not really an issue of shortcoming as much an issue of what mission do you want to accomplish with it.

If you want to do AP professionally then the big problem for any model of Phantom is that it will only carry a GoPro. The issue isn't can you do good AP with a Phantom the issue is whether GoPro footage is good enough for professional aerial footage. Chances are if you answered yes to that question then your not very far up the AP food chain and you won't require a lot of the other functionality that a larger multirotor might provide. So a Phantom II might be good enough.

However, as I understand it [and I didn't watch either of the videos in this thread] the Vision + has its own camera and gimbal. Does anyone else question the wisdom of DJI to develop or OEM a camera? So you can't use a GoPro on the Vision + gimbal and you probably can't use the camera that works on the gimbal for anything other than using it on the Vision +. This is what happens when companies drink their own Cool Aide.

The Phantom is a toy, if your serious about development or AP its certainly a good trainer but people will laugh at you if you show up to a shoot with a Phantom to do anything other than scouting a location with it.

John Steele May 1st, 2014 04:17 PM

My phantom 2 "Toy" with Zenmuse h3-3d in a few weeks has produced better and more stable footage than i could ever achieve with my not a toy Trex 600 helicopter, i can also fly my phantom without really worry that I might take my own head off with the rotor blades.

Really don't agree with calling a GPS enabled quadcopter with return to home etc and a 3 axis stabilised gimbal a toy.

John.

Ed Kukla May 2nd, 2014 05:34 AM

What is the maximum wind speed you can operate one of these in and still get stable video?

What happens if you land one of these in water?

Jim Andrada May 3rd, 2014 12:23 AM

Landing one in water wouldn't be very high on my list of concerns here in Tucson unless I were trying to fly it during one of our monsoon rainstorms. Which isn't too likely because I'd get soaked. High winds also not too concerning because if the high wind persists very long it gets so dusty that you couldn't see much to record.

Just pointing out that everybody's situation is different.

Craig Chartier May 3rd, 2014 09:53 PM

The Phantom 2 is a prosumer level of product at best. Yes it is a much improved ( or more narrow designed ) craft. My iPhone has GPS and a camera that plays back footage at 120fps. Would I love to get paid for the footage I shoot with it? Sure thing, however, the fact is a fixed camera platform that has a limited window of flight conditions for stable footage is not going to get you calls JUST for your flight footage. Can you value add a limited amount of that footage into a gig your client is already paying you to produce? probably so.

The DJI S800 is just at the lower level of what you would need to really be able to sell yourself as an AP. and you would need at least two or more of every piece of the package just to fulfill a gig. Including two or more different cameras.

At this time ( in my opinion ) DJI has legal battles and a need to overhaul its USA customer service. I would certainly look at some of the other platforms that have come out and made strides in the last year while DJI has been putting time and money into regrouping.

Scott Wilkinson May 5th, 2014 12:18 PM

Some good comments here, and I always appreciate the knowledge.

For our purposes, a Phantom 2 with a 3-axis gimbal and a GoPro would deliver absolutely "professional" quality results. The key phrase there is "for our purposes."

I know this dovetails into the ever-present larger philosophical discussion about the meaning of the phrase "professional quality," but in my opinion there are many different levels of "professional." We have a team of accomplished video producers, a full broadcast HD studio, a wide range of broadcast quality cameras and equipment. Yet 100% of our video production ends up on YouTube. Not one minute of it is ever played back on an HD television set or a movie theater screen.

So GoPro footage shot on a nice day and seen only on YouTube is 100% sufficient for me to label "professional" for our purposes. :-) And I'm familiar with the higher end of professional footage---last year we spent $13,000 chartering a Bell Jet Ranger with nose-mounted, gyro-stabilized "broadcast" camera. That footage is very good (as good as that kind of footage can be), but on YouTube it's no better than many of the Phantom vids I've seen.

Forgive me if this sounds like a rant. I just don't have much patience with people who continually try to justify the use of extremely expensive, high-end equipment. The idea that this is what you have to use to be a pro just doesn't match reality!

Scott

Craig Chartier May 5th, 2014 09:07 PM

The guy that charged you 13K for the Bell Ranger would probably disagree with your assessment ;-)