Short GH4 Reel from Hawaii at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old June 14th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Short GH4 Reel from Hawaii

Hi guys,

Here is a short reel that I put together from a recent shoot. The description describes the camera set up, but let me know if you have any questions. https://vimeo.com/user10078837/revie...110/3d767ae753

Wayne Mann
HeliCam Aerial Media Services, Aerial Video, Aerial Photography
Wayne Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Short GH4 Reel from Hawaii

Wow, nice work. Looks like the GH4 is going to be the new "it" camera for aerial. That's really nice footage.

What gimbal are you using? How do you like the Rokinon 12mm f2.0?

Last edited by Chuck Spaulding; June 15th, 2014 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Forgot questions
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Chuck,

It is a gimbal that I built with the 32 bit Alexmos board. So far I love the Rokinon 12mm. I was so fed up with the limitations of the SLR Magic 12mm. The Rokinon has very little distortion, similar to the SLR Magic and it locks down to the body very tight. I do wish that it had a declicked aperture ring. Samyang just released their version with a declicked aperture ring and gears on the focus and aperture rings for use with follow focus devices. I am thinking about trying their 10mm lens as I would like to have a wider lens with the 2.3 crop factor in UHD on the GH4.

Wayne Mann
Wayne Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Excellent work Wayne!
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Mann View Post
Thanks Chuck,

It is a gimbal that I built with the 32 bit Alexmos board. So far I love the Rokinon 12mm. I was so fed up with the limitations of the SLR Magic 12mm. The Rokinon has very little distortion, similar to the SLR Magic and it locks down to the body very tight. I do wish that it had a declicked aperture ring. Samyang just released their version with a declicked aperture ring and gears on the focus and aperture rings for use with follow focus devices. I am thinking about trying their 10mm lens as I would like to have a wider lens with the 2.3 crop factor in UHD on the GH4.

Wayne Mann
Thanks Wayne, you seem to be a treasure trove of advice, what's it been like working with the 32bit Alexmos? Where did you purchase it and do you participate in forum discussions on how to implement it? If so, where? The Alexmos thread on RCGroups has become so convoluted its difficult to know what's real.

I have the 8bit Alexmos still running version 2.0, its been working well enough with 2-axis gimbal and NEX5n but not well enough with a 3-axis gimbal and GH3. So I've decided to build a new gimbal and get another controller so I'm looking for good sources of information on how to setup the 32bit board.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Chuck,

I almost didn't order the 32 bit board after reading a lot of horror stories on R/C Groups about how impossible it was to get tuned properly tuned. I try to take negative feedback like that with a huge grain of salt as there are a lot of new people to gimbals trying to tune these things. I read the tuning instructions for the new board and it took me maybe two hours to get it working very well "hand held" and maybe five flights on my Octo to get it dialed in the rest of the way. It is tougher to tune than the 8 bit boards. You have a much narrower window on the PID to get the board to play nice. The adjustments on these boards are just too coarse in my opinion. However, once tuned correctly the 32 bit board on a well designed gimbal and that is a very important part, will perform just a well as a Movi or any DJI gimbal. I read about a lot of people having issues with Movis and DJI gimbals that I have never had with my gimbals. I do not have anywhere near the horizon issues that those gimbals have.

I have given my settings on the 32 bit board here in this thread: Alexmos BaseCam 3axis 32bit Brushless Gimbal Controller by Viacopter & Flyduino - RC Groups

Unfortunately I have no idea what page it was on. You can probably search for my name and find it as I don't post there very much.

Have a great weekend.

Wayne Mann
Wayne Mann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras