DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Where could I learn about flying cameras? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/524282-where-could-i-learn-about-flying-cameras.html)

Peter Berger July 27th, 2014 07:41 AM

Where could I learn about flying cameras?

I would like to buy a quadcopter and learn how to shoot video with it, but I dont know anything about it. Could you recommend me some website/book/video where I could learn more about this? Some place where I could find basic informations for newbies (types of drones, what is best for me, things I need to know before I buy something etc. I want to study first and then decide what I want. Thanks!

Giroud Francois July 27th, 2014 04:20 PM

Re: Where could I learn about flying cameras?

you have first to decide how big the camera is, then it will decide the size of flying machine you need.
then you can get information about the price of available models.
FPV forums are a good source for information

there is a lot of difference in price between a small DJI phantom and a big octocopter lifting 16 pounds.

the usual advice is to start small (a 500$ dji phantom with a gopro) and then try a bigger system.

You have to know that safety and laws are very different if you fly a small device or a big one.

anybody can fly a dji phantom, some big octocopter require a pilot license and a complete crew.

Jim Martin July 30th, 2014 10:24 AM

Also, for a learning experience in flying, the Hubsan X4 (H107L) is a great tool.....it acts just like the Phantom, the controller is very similar, and it only costs around $40.....it's quite small, but takes the punishment.......you can get it on Amazon.

Jim Martin

...Back from Switzerland!

Chuck Spaulding July 31st, 2014 01:35 AM

Here's a link to sign up for this if your interested. Kind of pricey but if your serious about creating an AP business then its probably worth it though I doubt the certification means anything.

FLYSAFE | Radio Control Aerial Photography Training

Peter Berger July 31st, 2014 04:06 PM

I will try to buy a Hubsan X4 first and learn it with it. Thanks for the tip. BTW, I noticed some version has a small camera. Can you record video with it?

Peter Berger July 31st, 2014 04:11 PM

Chuck, thanks for the link, but Vegas is really too far from my country. Anyway, I just purchased Creative live course about drone photography. I hope I can learn something from it.

Peter Berger July 31st, 2014 04:29 PM

BTW, what is the cheapest drone that can fly a DSLR?

Chuck Spaulding July 31st, 2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Berger (Post 1856864)
Chuck, thanks for the link, but Vegas is really too far from my country. Anyway, I just purchased Creative live course about drone photography. I hope I can learn something from it.

Sorry, I didn't notice where you were from. But hey what happens in Vegas, stay's in Vegas [that's an advertising campaign here in the States]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Berger (Post 1856866)
BTW, what is the cheapest drone that can fly a DSLR?

It all depends on what your hoping to accomplish. Flying a DSLR is one thing, getting good video with a 3-axis gimbal is another. Your realistically looking at about $3500 USD or more depending on how much control you want on the gimbal and if you want FPV etc..

Jamie Roberts August 1st, 2014 01:46 AM

This training uses the phantom but much of it applies to any quadcopter

Chuck Spaulding August 1st, 2014 01:21 PM

Jamie, enjoyed your video. Is this available for download or only DVD?