DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Gimbal for a thousand balloons (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/524538-gimbal-thousand-balloons.html)

Julian Ott August 17th, 2014 10:19 PM

Gimbal for a thousand balloons

We are going to use thousands of dove balloons to fly a Gopro into the sky about 300 meters, pull it back down, and do it for a second take.

We need a gimbal that will stabilize, and allow remote control up / down movement such as is possible on the H2-3D.

Any suggestions? We can make / use any kind of rigging to which we can attach a thousand balloons :)

It's a fun kind of dilemma to have, isn't it?

julian

Nate Haustein August 18th, 2014 09:11 AM

Re: Gimbal for a thousand balloons

I've been using the DYS 3-axis GoPro gimbal recently and am very happy with it. You can attach a simple 4-channel receiver to it in order to control pan, tilt and roll. It's about $200 or so and doesn't require additional hardware like the Zenmuse to operate. It's a standalone unit that runs off a 3s 11.1v battery.

Bill Sherren August 18th, 2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1858320)
I've been using the DYS 3-axis GoPro gimbal recently and am very happy with it. You can attach a simple 4-channel receiver to it in order to control pan, tilt and roll. It's about $200 or so and doesn't require additional hardware like the Zenmuse to operate. It's a standalone unit that runs off a 3s 11.1v battery.

Did need much tuning as I was thinking of adding one of these to my Phantom 1?

bill

Nate Haustein August 18th, 2014 05:47 PM

It was actually pretty darn good right out of the box. I did the 6-axis calibration and changed the settings to some recommended values I found on a 10-minute youtube video. Works great on my F450 even with a heavy blur-fix filter. Also quite convenient you can tune it with a mac computer and not just windows.

I recently traveled to Puerto Rico with it and there were consistent 25mph winds on the coast. The footage really turned out great. Much better experience than my 2-axis Tarrot. Can't beat it for the price. I did add some new Tarot brand damper balls but otherwise it's ready to go.

Bill Sherren August 29th, 2014 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info Nate.
Over here in the UK where prices are always higher than the States I have seen the DYS 3 axis for about £199, but noticed it had dropped to £179 on Monday. But today with a one day sale it is £134 so well worth buying- and have!
Is the blur-fix filter you mention an ND filter?

cheers

bill

Nate Haustein August 29th, 2014 11:16 PM

Good deal. Yes, I was talking about a small nd filter.