GoPro4 v GH4? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old October 12th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Major Player

GoPro4 v GH4?

Now that GoPro has come out with their 4K camera, which U supposed would theoretically allow more digital stabilization in post if even needed, or Ken Burns moves done digitally in post, I am thinking of why I should get a DJI S900 with the Zenmuse and a GH4.

There has to be at least a $3000-4000 difference between both rigs. What meaningful will a Panasonic GH4 and S900 do for me that the Phantom 2 and GoPro 4K cam won't?
Old October 12th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: GoPro4 v GH4?

I'm trying to make the exact same decision myself... Obviously the quality of the GH4 is going to be better than the GoPro, especially with the higher bitrate. Plus ability to changes lenses and control the camera remotely is a bonus.

But after seeing sample footage from the GoPro 4, I'm leaning towards buying one. The new Align M690 hexacopter is looking very tempting, and at a much lower price-point than the S900. It is more expensive than the Phantom but has a lot more features.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
Now that GoPro has come out with their 4K camera, which U supposed would theoretically allow more digital stabilization in post if even needed, or Ken Burns moves done digitally in post, I am thinking of why I should get a DJI S900 with the Zenmuse and a GH4.

There has to be at least a $3000-4000 difference between both rigs. What meaningful will a Panasonic GH4 and S900 do for me that the Phantom 2 and GoPro 4K cam won't?
Its a GoPro, no matter what the resolution its a tiny camera with a crappy lens. If your doing this for a hobby they're great but I have rarely been able to charge good money for GoPro footage. Occasionally I get shots with a GoPro that I couldn't get any other way, but there's no comparison between a GoPro and GH4. I know people will make the comparison but its that old saying, "Guys who say its not the size of the boat its the motion of the ocean." well they almost always have a dingy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
I'm trying to make the exact same decision myself... Obviously the quality of the GH4 is going to be better than the GoPro, especially with the higher bitrate. Plus ability to changes lenses and control the camera remotely is a bonus.

But after seeing sample footage from the GoPro 4, I'm leaning towards buying one. The new Align M690 hexacopter is looking very tempting, and at a much lower price-point than the S900. It is more expensive than the Phantom but has a lot more features.

GoPro demo footage always looks great but the overwhelming amount of GoPro footage on Youtube doesn't look great at all. I think everyone should have a GoPro, they're fun and you can try shots with this camera you'd never try with a more expensive "fragile" camera.

When color grading and comparing GoPro footage to a GH4, you can make the GH4 footage look much better than the GoPro footage.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think you have to place it a bit into perspective, just because the gopro can do 4K doesn't mean it's equally good as a gh4 at 4k, lot's of things that need to be considered like bitrate, codec, sensor, lens, how the image is processed that all have a effect on the image. It doesn't mean the image of the gopro doesn't look good, goppro's own advertisement film looks amazing, under the right circumstances it can look very good.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Trustee

Noa, I'm waiting for your GoPro 4 to arrive so you can post some comparison footage ;)

I'm right at the point of looking at the Phantom 2 (which I have) + GoPro 4 --OR-- go for the S900 + Zenmuse (I already have a GH4) or Align M690.

To me the advantage of the M690 is that it claims it can handle both GH4 and 5D3 (which I also have) whereas the S900 you get to choose one or the other. It's also cheaper.

The problem is that we don't yet have any real world experience of the M690 or it's flight controllers, nor can I find an AUW with gimbal & GH4. It needs to be under 7KG or it's a no-go.

I'm also now aware of another manufacturer coming to market shortly with options for Quad, Hex and X8 and built in the USA, so I may just hold off a little bit longer.

Damn, choosing a camera is bad enough, choosing an aircraft as well is just making it exponentially worse!
Old October 15th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Naturally the 4k on the Gopro 4 is not as good as the G4 or on the growing number of cameras now being
released with a 4K option.

However it is surprising good for what it is and really adds a huge improvement to the Phantom 2, H3 / 3D type of set up. For me this makes this level of drone / camera set up ideal for the smaller scale operator, predominately operating on their own.

I've just started experimenting with the Gopro 4K and here is an example. This files are 1080p because Vimeo has yet to go 4K!

Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Even if vimeo does 4K, almost no-one can view it in 4K but regardless, it looks very good on my full hd screen. :)
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
Its a GoPro, no matter what the resolution its a tiny camera with a crappy lens. If your doing this for a hobby they're great but I have rarely been able to charge good money for GoPro footage. Occasionally I get shots with a GoPro that I couldn't get any other way, but there's no comparison between a GoPro and GH4. I know people will make the comparison but its that old saying, "Guys who say its not the size of the boat its the motion of the ocean." well they almost always have a dingy...

GoPro demo footage always looks great but the overwhelming amount of GoPro footage on Youtube doesn't look great at all. I think everyone should have a GoPro, they're fun and you can try shots with this camera you'd never try with a more expensive "fragile" camera.

When color grading and comparing GoPro footage to a GH4, you can make the GH4 footage look much better than the GoPro footage.
None of these opinions apply to 4K from the Hero 4 Black, for two reasons:

1. The 4K videos are stunning, and have a flat mode suitable for grading. They are very much competitive with the GH4 4K, ooc or graded. I have both cameras.

2. The poster does not have a Hero 4 Black to try 4K mode, nor are there many videos posted showing 4K videos from the Hero4 to back up any claims about the "overwhelming" number of (4K) Youtube GoPro videos that don't "look great."

The point is that the new Hero 4 Black 4K changes the game, prior conclusions, and the current choice (for 4K aerial shots).
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Mark, what is the highest usable iso setting on the gopro 4 for you? I think I read it can do 1600 iso, is that true?
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Mark, what is the highest usable iso setting on the gopro 4 for you? I think I read it can do 1600 iso, is that true?
I don't know what is "useable", but one can set the max ISO to 400, 1600 and 6400 in Protune (video) mode.
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Major Player

Generally I have been taught / learnt that the best results come from using Protune Native - Colour flat - ISO 400 - Low sharpness - Default Exposure and then processing in your NLE or with Resolve.

I use FCPX and add sharpness back in, bring up the saturation, apply masks to separate the sky from the rest of the image and adjust the levels. I also sometimes use a film emulation software called Film Convert.

Another thing I have learnt to use is a ND Filter on the lens which is a real pain as it weighs 10-12 grams and you have to counter weight that with coins on the back of the camera.

But it makes a big difference tp movement in the frame - car wheels etc and also helps to balance out the sky.

People use it remove the jello effect - but I've found that has gone with the Gopro 4 in 4 k.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
I don't know what is "useable"
I have no idea how that little camera performs under low light conditions so 400 iso sounds very limiting and maybe 1600 iso and above might be too noisy or introduce lots of artifacts? I"m not expecting it to have the same performance as a sony a7s but was wondering how high iso you can select before the image falls apart.
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #13
Trustee

Extremely low-light ISO 4K Test Video: GoPro Hero 4

Quote:
I have no idea how that little camera performs under low light conditions so 400 iso sounds very limiting and maybe 1600 iso and above might be too noisy or introduce lots of artifacts? I"m not expecting it to have the same performance as a sony a7s but was wondering how high iso you can select before the image falls apart.
Here you go: Shot 4K, 30p in the following sequence - Protune Color, ISO 400; Protune Color, ISO 1600; Protune Flat, ISO 400; Protune Flat, ISO 1600.

You can see from the first frame how dark this setting was. Chroma noise seems relatively low.

This video underwent no re-compression, and the 4K original is downloadable. You can thus play with it in your editor to reduce noise and add color (to the flat clips).
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Thx Mark! Protune Flat, ISO 1600 looks best by far after I colorcorrect it and apply neatvideo to it. Only neatvideo is soooooo slow on 4K but worth the waittime. Protune Color has too much contrast applied to it.
Old October 15th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Thx Mark! Protune Flat, ISO 1600 looks best by far after I colorcorrect it and apply neatvideo to it. Only neatvideo is soooooo slow on 4K but worth the waittime. Protune Color has too much contrast applied to it.
I also played with the clips, and I agree.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras