DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Selfie-sticks banned at local museums.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/526844-selfie-sticks-banned-local-museums.html)

Dave Blackhurst February 11th, 2015 07:13 PM

Selfie-sticks banned at local museums....

TODAYS news story... (YESTERDAYS was about the multiple near collisions with drones by aircraft at between 1300 and 10K+ feet).

Local museums, after a few "close calls" with valuable artwork selfie sticks, and MORONS have instituted a ban on the devices...

As long as we refuse to ban MORONS, we'll never solve the problem!

Posted somewhat tongue in cheek, but let's just say I'm not going to invest in drone/aerial videography... somehow I don't think it's going to be allowed due to the stupidity of a few...

Vince Pachiano February 11th, 2015 09:39 PM

Re: Selfie-sticks banned at local museums....

You can't fix stupid.

You're at the museum to see the Artwork, Collection, etc.
Why the heck are you taking selfies, unless you are a complete narcissist!

Shaun Roemich February 12th, 2015 01:53 PM

What we REALLY need now is a Selfie UAV that hovers around us and shoots everything we do since we are all so very important! Oh! And live streams it as well.

Andy Wilkinson February 12th, 2015 02:07 PM

.....I am pretty sure that self-following/filming UAV device already exists...I saw something about it a few weeks back on a website!

(no idea where/can't link to it right now).

John C. Chu February 12th, 2015 03:19 PM

Here in New York City, specifically Canal Street/Chinatown, the hot item to sell to tourists are the selfie-sticks with the bluetooth trigger. Who would have thought? (I think $15)

The selfie sticks are sold right next to the mobile phone cases, scarfs, hats gloves and t-shirts etc.

I actually use and own a selfie stick as it is perfect for taking spherical photos with a Ricoh Theta---but I'm going to be self conscious taking it out now.

Colin McDonald February 13th, 2015 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought myself a deluxe selfie stick...
:-)

Greg Boston February 16th, 2015 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1876580)
What we REALLY need now is a Selfie UAV that hovers around us and shoots everything we do since we are all so very important! Oh! And live streams it as well.

They already exist. C'mon Shaun, try to keep up. Hehe.

-gb-

Robert Benda February 16th, 2015 08:48 AM

In the museum, if its crowded, the selfie stick gets you a view from above the crowd (see: Mona Lisa at the Louvre). If its not crowded, its probably semi-narcissists taking pictures of themselves with the artwork.

As for self-following, AirDog, which is due out very soon, is designed to operate that way - mostly for sports enthusiasts. The 3D Robotics' Iris+ also can, using either your phone or one of the fitbit style wrist watches.