Sec 333 Exemption at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old July 23rd, 2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Sec 333 Exemption

Has anyone here applied for a Section 333 Exemption, and can you discuss the process? It seems they are posting the approved applications (800+ of them) on the website now, so you more or less have a template to work from.

I'm considering doing it, just wondering how the process has been for anyone who's done it firsthand.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 05:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sec 333 Exemption

Hi Mike I can't help you unfortunately. Living in canada the rulz are different.
I've just bought insurance and have a phantom3 which is under 5 pounds and don't plan on shooting in areas prohibited by Transport Canada so my exemption is automatic and does not require special documentation.
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 07:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

I know someone did a video on it. I'll look around to see if I can find it. Keep in mind though, the restrictions on the COA are such that I doubt most are really able to comply and still get any work done. Depends on your application of course. The 500 ft away from people, structures, and vessels which is a good rule for full size aircraft, doesn't translate well to sUAS aircraft but that's the FAR the they have to work with.

As a result, and this is strictly for your own risk appetite, many are choosing to work commercially without the exemption while making sure they don't fly carelessly or wrecklessly which will put them in the FAA crosshairs for prosecution.

Many clients though have now heard about, and are requiring the 333 exemption before they will hire you.

It's currently a legal gray area as several prominent aviation attorneys do not agree that any current FAR's apply.

I really hope the NPRM gets codified into Part 107 pretty soon so that we can get rid of all this amibiguity and let commercial operators get on with making a living.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Trustee

Greg, I lost a gig the other day because I didn't have it. This was, ironically, inside the Disneyland TFR zone, so it'd be against the rules anyway - in fact I wasn't sure my DJI would take off inside that zone or if that TFR was hardwired in the software.

When I looked into it, it's pages and pages of application, but they're posting the full text of everyone else's application, so it seems to be a matter of copy and paste.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Trustee

So you have to kind of have to ask the question, what's the point? That's exactly what some people are doing and for the manual they're just providing a link to DJI's documentation.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Has anyone here applied for a Section 333 Exemption, and can you discuss the process? It seems they are posting the approved applications (800+ of them) on the website now, so you more or less have a template to work from.

I'm considering doing it, just wondering how the process has been for anyone who's done it firsthand.
If you haven't already been there, the FAA's site has detailed information on filing for an exemption:
Guidelines for Submitting a Petition for Exemption

You need a minimum of a sport pilot's license which is a limiting factor for many.
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Greg, I lost a gig the other day because I didn't have it. This was, ironically, inside the Disneyland TFR zone, so it'd be against the rules anyway - in fact I wasn't sure my DJI would take off inside that zone or if that TFR was hardwired in the software.

When I looked into it, it's pages and pages of application, but they're posting the full text of everyone else's application, so it seems to be a matter of copy and paste.
I understand, Mike. Many clients are now aware of the 333 exemption, even if they don't know what it really is, they just know that anyone they hire 'should' have the 333.

Best of luck to you on whichever route you choose to take for commercial work. Just fly safely and sensibly. I've been given to understand that the FAA is using their limited resources to pursue operators who are doing things that have a medium or high level of risk to people, property, or vessels. I think that's a good use of those resources.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras