DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   phantom 3 profesiona and ipad mini 2 and the annoying video lag (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/529413-phantom-3-profesiona-ipad-mini-2-annoying-video-lag.html)

Anthony Mozora August 14th, 2015 10:17 PM

phantom 3 profesiona and ipad mini 2 and the annoying video lag

hello there

i have bought a phantom 3 pro yesterday and the ipad mini 2 same day

i have the hardware decode enable

i have disable the video cashe

and i have the ipad mini 2 on airplane mode

but still i have this annoying video lag which is makes this tool useless for me cause like this is dangerous and not safe to do serious work.

do you know if there is anything else i can do?

thanks in advance

Mike Watson August 14th, 2015 11:22 PM

Re: phantom 3 profesiona and ipad mini 2 and the annoying video lag

How much lag do you have?

Anthony Mozora August 14th, 2015 11:30 PM

Re: phantom 3 profesional and ipad mini 2 and the annoying video lag

very little. about 0.5secs/ 1sec

which is frustrating cause i had a phantom 2 h33d with FPV and that was beyond perfect.

with any lag i can capture video from distance but i can not get close to buildings or be creative in anyway as is not safe.

Nate Haustein August 15th, 2015 09:53 AM

Have you tried lowering the video transmission bit rate in the image transmission settings? Bring it down to the lowest setting and see if that helps.

Mike Watson August 15th, 2015 09:58 AM

I'm also getting 0.5 to 1 sec with the same rig. I was getting some lag before with the 2V+ and it hadn't occurred to me to be annoyed by the 3, but you're right, there's more lag now.

Anthony Mozora August 15th, 2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1895196)
Have you tried lowering the video transmission bit rate in the image transmission settings? Bring it down to the lowest setting and see if that helps.

i tried to do this but i can not find a proper channel that works faster .... actually i found more delay...

Anthony Mozora August 15th, 2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1895197)
I'm also getting 0.5 to 1 sec with the same rig. I was getting some lag before with the 2V+ and it hadn't occurred to me to be annoyed by the 3, but you're right, there's more lag now.

dont know what to do..

I also have the phantom 2 H33D with a gopro 3black + and the FPV is an amazing experience with this rig
no lags .... smooth ...no issues at all ......

I went with the phantom 3 pro having the best possible hopes for even better results and instead of that i wish i was really getting a gopro 4 and a gimbal H4-3D .....this could have been the best combo for me

but i wasted money on an ipad mini 2 that it seems that can not give me better results!

somebody told me earlier today that the only ipad that actually works is the IPAD AIR 2....

i could give 5* to the phantom 3 but now am giving it 1* cause of the failure to a perfect video signal

Nate Haustein August 15th, 2015 11:00 AM

It's because the newer craft have HD feeds versus the older SD video feeds. Your gopro is an analog feed versus the digital Light-bridge signal.

Nate Haustein August 15th, 2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora (Post 1895198)
i tried to do this but i can not find a proper channel that works faster .... actually i found more delay...

Not really a channel thing, it's a bandwidth thing. Maybe it's missing from the latest app? You used to be able to adjust quality from like 2Mbps to 8Mbps or something like that. For longer range and less lag.

Jody Arnott August 16th, 2015 12:30 AM

From what I've read online, the video lag is normal. Lightbridge isn't mean for FPV flying, it's meant for framing up the shot. Because it's over wifi, video lag is inevitable - not like an analog video feed which is almost instant but the quality is much worse.

Viewing a GoPro feed over wifi is the same - 1-2 seconds lag.

Greg Boston August 16th, 2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Arnott (Post 1895223)
From what I've read online, the video lag is normal. Lightbridge isn't mean for FPV flying, it's meant for framing up the shot. Because it's over wifi, video lag is inevitable - not like an analog video feed which is almost instant but the quality is much worse.

Viewing a GoPro feed over wifi is the same - 1-2 seconds lag.

This is true. However, I have also read that newer iPads seem to handle the higher quality video feed with less lag. But it's definitely not meant to be an FPV set up.

-gb-

Justin Bregar August 21st, 2015 03:50 PM

The lag is most likely related to the iPad getting warm and thermal throttling in its processor kicking in (thus making it less able to process and display the video feed).

I get far worse lagging when the ambient temp is high than I do when it's cooler out.