DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   This might get their attention (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/529973-might-get-their-attention.html)

Jim Michael October 7th, 2015 08:12 AM

This might get their attention

From AVWeb:

The FAA on Tuesday announced its largest-ever civil penalty against a drone operator, proposing a fine of $1.9 million against SkyPan International, based in Chicago, for "careless or reckless" operations.

Drone Operator Fined $1.9 Million - AVweb flash Article

Andy Wilkinson October 7th, 2015 08:43 AM

Re: This might get their attention

This is the BBC News take on the story - might not be viewable outside the UK though.

Drone firm under threat of $2m fine for 'illegal flying' - BBC News

Robert Benda October 7th, 2015 08:58 AM

For those who can't or won't read the article...

Pretty much all of New York city is Class B airspace (restricted, and within 5 miles of an airport). These guys flew 43 flights in that space without ever notifying a flight tower, and, of course, no aircraft lights, transponder, or communications/radio

I saw a lot of people on a message board defend the drone company, forgetting that NYC is some seriously trafficked airspace. Lots of helicopters and small planes in addition to the airliners.

F these guys for not doing things the safe way.

Jim Michael October 7th, 2015 09:17 AM

And for those who don't know the details about those airspace classifications, class B is the airspace around those super-busy airports like Kennedy, Atlanta, etc.You aren't permitted to enter that airspace without explicit clearance from the controlling authority.

Mark Williams October 7th, 2015 10:01 AM

Based on what I have read and if it is true then these folks deserve it.

David Heath October 8th, 2015 02:09 PM

Might be a technical answer - UK firms develop drone-freezing ray - BBC News

The "drone problem" was brought home to me personally whilst on holiday very recently. We were in a big market square listening to the guide when a drone appeared at the far end and flew towards us. At first I just watched it out of interest, then saw it approach the mediaeval clock tower (about 100 ft away), and was just thinking "that's a bit close" when it veered and smashed into it. It then seemed to move rapidly away sideways, then back to impact hard again, then fell fast and vertically about 60-80 feet to the ground.

There was a lady standing about 6-8 feet from where it fell, and I can only say that she was very, very lucky. We walked past a couple of minutes later and judging by the size, if it had hit her directly it would probably have been fatal.

I've read a number of drone accident stories in the last year or so, but when you witness something (fortunately a near miss) personally it really brings it home just what an accident waiting to happen the whole subject is. No doubt the operator thought he may have got good video footage - but to operate a drone over a square full of tourists is simply irresponsible. He can think himself very lucky he's not now facing a manslaughter charge.