This might get their attention at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old October 7th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #1
Major Player

This might get their attention

From AVWeb:

The FAA on Tuesday announced its largest-ever civil penalty against a drone operator, proposing a fine of $1.9 million against SkyPan International, based in Chicago, for "careless or reckless" operations.

Drone Operator Fined $1.9 Million - AVweb flash Article
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: This might get their attention

This is the BBC News take on the story - might not be viewable outside the UK though.

Drone firm under threat of $2m fine for 'illegal flying' - BBC News
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Trustee

For those who can't or won't read the article...

Pretty much all of New York city is Class B airspace (restricted, and within 5 miles of an airport). These guys flew 43 flights in that space without ever notifying a flight tower, and, of course, no aircraft lights, transponder, or communications/radio

I saw a lot of people on a message board defend the drone company, forgetting that NYC is some seriously trafficked airspace. Lots of helicopters and small planes in addition to the airliners.

F these guys for not doing things the safe way.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #4
Major Player

And for those who don't know the details about those airspace classifications, class B is the airspace around those super-busy airports like Kennedy, Atlanta, etc.You aren't permitted to enter that airspace without explicit clearance from the controlling authority.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Trustee

Based on what I have read and if it is true then these folks deserve it.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Might be a technical answer - UK firms develop drone-freezing ray - BBC News

The "drone problem" was brought home to me personally whilst on holiday very recently. We were in a big market square listening to the guide when a drone appeared at the far end and flew towards us. At first I just watched it out of interest, then saw it approach the mediaeval clock tower (about 100 ft away), and was just thinking "that's a bit close" when it veered and smashed into it. It then seemed to move rapidly away sideways, then back to impact hard again, then fell fast and vertically about 60-80 feet to the ground.

There was a lady standing about 6-8 feet from where it fell, and I can only say that she was very, very lucky. We walked past a couple of minutes later and judging by the size, if it had hit her directly it would probably have been fatal.

I've read a number of drone accident stories in the last year or so, but when you witness something (fortunately a near miss) personally it really brings it home just what an accident waiting to happen the whole subject is. No doubt the operator thought he may have got good video footage - but to operate a drone over a square full of tourists is simply irresponsible. He can think himself very lucky he's not now facing a manslaughter charge.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras