Phantom 2 w Vision or with GoPro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old November 4th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Phantom 2 w Vision or with GoPro?

I currently am using the DJI Phantom 2 vision+ for my work and I really like it. It's easy to fly, the controller is great and it has great features. The only thing I don't like is the quality of the video that comes out of the camera. I am considering proposing to my boss that we sell it and get a drone with a gimbal and use the GoPro Hero 4 that we have.

The image quality out of the GoPro will be much higher than the current camera on the Phantom 2 but I have one big concern. If I get the Phantom and gimbal without the camera, I won't be able to monitor the video or photos I will be taking, battery life or altitude. I'm not 100% concerned about battery life as I normally don't fly it for more than a few minutes at a time (only when I need a specific shot). I figured I could simply monitor the video with the GoPro app, but apparently, with the Phantom and the GoPro app, you can only go a hundred yards or so away before it loses connection and automatically comes back home, which could be a problem. One Youtuber said that the Phantom and the GoPro use the same frequency which causes an issue.

Anyone have any advice for me? I love the idea of getting a drone without a camera because we can always upgrade GoPros as we need without having to replace the entire drone, but I hate to get one and then fly blind all the time, which could be a problem. I know you can get monitors to watch what you are doing, but I don't think my work will go for that.

Is there another type of drone that works better with GoPros?
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Phantom 2 w Vision or with GoPro?

The new Phantom 3's have basically a GoPro4 sensor, a non-fisheye rectilinear lens, HD video transmission and long flight times and transmission distances. For the price you really can't go wrong, even if you only had one battery.
Old November 4th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Yea I feel like the new Phantom would be the safest bet. I love my job, but if I'm not here in 4 years I won't be surprised, but the idea of always being able to upgrade your camera with a new GoPro is very interesting to me and would be good for the future of the university.

But yea you are right, I think I'd prefer to get the Phantom 3 and get it over with
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Trustee

The technology (especially drones) are moving so fast traditional camera upgrade logic doesn't even apply. It's crazy.
Old November 9th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Major Player

I went for 3DR Solo so that I can use my Go Pro 4. As such I would be upgrading my Go Pro next year when a new one comes, as I use it for many other applications. So it makes sense for me to streamline the camera. Also the 3DR Solo has some good features. You can directly use your phone. No extra FPV etc required.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras