Regulation of UAVs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old January 17th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Regulation of UAVs

This level of investigation and reporting hints that manufacturers of small UAVs, who aspire to their product being used for commercial air operations, may yet have to step up and meet some basic airworthiness requirements lest they in the future become subject to airworthiness directives and grounding of types as with GA aircraft. A time before failure of 10.1 hours of operation for a major structural component is not a good look for a reputable manufacturer.

Within the web page, click on the "Read report" tab for the complete analysis.

Investigation: AO-2015-112 - In-flight break-up involving a DJI S900 remotely piloted aircraft, at Toowoomba, Qld on 19 September 2015

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 17th, 2016 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added text.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Regulation of UAVs

Investigation: AO-2015-035 - Loss of operator control involving an Aeronavics SkyJib 8 remotely piloted aircraft near the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, VIC on 29 March 2015
Old January 19th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for posting that report Bob.

So despite the operator checking everything, installing a parachute system, and operating in a safe manner he experienced a total breakdown of his DJI S900.

Fortunately no one was injured. But that was surely down to luck.

I feel a slight nervousness everytime I launch my DJI Inspire 1 and that is despite performing rigorous pre-flight tests and operating strictly within the regulations of my CAA Certification. There are just so many small things that could turn the UAV into a falling brick.

I wonder whether DJI will implement any changes into their manufacturing processes as a result of this?
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Many are bemoaning regulation of the industry curtailing their freedoms.

Safety aside, one upside for the end-user just may be a little more judicious quality control by any manufacturers to create hardware that actually lasts rather than living with a percentage survival rate bolstered by a replacement scheme.

It is one thing to keep a disgruntled consumer quiet either by generous refund/replacement deals or threat of burial by litigation of those who get stroppy. It is another when there is a strong enough umpire overseeing the game.

Scrupulous examination of incidents and accidents has been demonstrated as even-handed by these two investigations and I think that should be acknowledged.
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dobson View Post
Thanks for posting that report Bob.

So despite the operator checking everything, installing a parachute system, and operating in a safe manner he experienced a total breakdown of his DJI S900.

Fortunately no one was injured. But that was surely down to luck.

I feel a slight nervousness everytime I launch my DJI Inspire 1 and that is despite performing rigorous pre-flight tests and operating strictly within the regulations of my CAA Certification. There are just so many small things that could turn the UAV into a falling brick.

I wonder whether DJI will implement any changes into their manufacturing processes as a result of this?
From the report, it seems that the investigation may have mined only so far as the Australian reseller. If for no other reason than the reseller telling DJI, "the investigators came knocking at my door I think you need to know this", DJI would be wise to invest some effort into failure modes and solutions.

An example. A simple fine-gauge tension lanyard threaded around the circumference of the structure and secured to the outer ends of all support pillars would have stopped that failure in its tracks. It is not a new idea. The principle was used dynamically in early four-blade aurogyro aircraft rotors.
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:36 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Here is a bit of new information.

CASA set to cut red tape for drone operators
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Wow that sounds like good news Bob ... My mate completed a drone training course in Jandakot just last month at a cost of $4000.00 and now as long as you stick to the requirements you don't need the licence any more as long as the UAV is under the 2kg weight limit. A bit of a bummer for those wanting to fly a standard DJI and have paid all that money out for CASA certified training
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras