Drone Hits British Airways Plane at London Heathrow - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:54 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Drone Hits British Airways Plane at London Heathrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherren View Post
Latest reports suggest it might have been a plastic bag! I think we will see a crack down on plastic bags quite soon!

Drone believed to have hit British Airways flight 'may have been a plastic bag'
That's a politician speaking, saying it "MAY have been a plasrtc bag", is him or one of his staff speculating. Wait for the official report, the article says they haven't yet confirmed what hit the aircraft. Light objects do get carried up into the air, so that can be a possiblity.

Appeal following incident with aircraft - Metropolitan Police
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 04:57 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
That's a politician speaking, saying it "MAY have been a plasrtc bag", is him or one of his staff speculating.
Indeed, and it smacks a little of wanting it not to be a drone - because if it was, it's likely to mean a lot of extra work and expense for their department......

If it WASN'T a drone, I'd find a helium balloon a far more likely alternative than a plastic bag. There's been a high pressure system over most of the UK for the last week or so, and not much wind (at least round London) - it was a perfect sunny day last Sunday. I think a flying saucer is actually more likely than a plastic bag at 1,700 feet........
Quote:
Wait for the official report, .......
And again, indeed. Though in the meantime the pilot's impression (he was there) should be given more weight than speculation from an anonymous politician (who wasn't there)?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 06:34 AM   #33
Major Player

As the Earth heats rising columns of air known as thermals can provide upward lift for objects thousands of feet into the air, so it's possible that a plastic bag caught a ride.

It's hard to make things out against the ground clutter when you are at low altitude making "see and avoid" a problem for pilots, so I agree that there seem to be an inordinate number of drone near misses simply because the things should be so hard to see.

At low altitude I would guess the jet should have been doing about 250 knots so if it was a drone seems like there should be a ding on the leading edge of the wing or other surface that was impacted, unless that surface was more parallel than orthogonal to the flight path.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #34
Trustee

Published 3 days ago ... The Civil Aviation Authority have drawn up some codes for drone operators to follow.

Drone rules: Everything you need to know to fly domestic drones legally | UK | News | The Independent

"Using drones for professional purposes requires permission from the CAA, and a license granted after completing a training programme"
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #35
Major Player

Seems odd though that they don't specifically mention airports or other aircraft.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #36
Inner Circle

The source, rather than a newspaper:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Mode...Flying-drones/
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:11 AM   #37
Wrangler

Just read this article. I think it hits the nail on the head. I wish people would quit fanning the flames of fear and paranoia.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...e-424908/a320/

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras