Let's hope the long wait is over... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old June 21st, 2016, 04:30 AM   #1
Wrangler

Let's hope the long wait is over...

The FAA will be holding a press conference at 1PM EDT today (6-21-16), presumably to announce the final rule for Part 107 of the FAR's. This is the section that will finally codify regulations and requirements for commercial use of sUAS in the US.

Here is a rundown from Drone Law Journal...

Drone Law Journal | Leaked: Latest Summary of Part 107

UPDATE: The press conference is now scheduled for 10 AM EDT.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Let's hope the long wait is over...

And here is the full 600+ pages of the final rule for Part 107. Should be in effect in around 60 days from now.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_212...ean_Signed.pdf
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:35 AM   #3
Trustee

To get certification (Page 383) shows you take test (initial aeronautical knowledge exam). IF you pass, next is the TSA clearing you. Then you get a temporary license, good for 120 days, while waiting for the final FAA licensing.

NO flight profiency or experience requirements. NO flight training or course is required.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Trustee

FAA has a page outlining the process, and describing the "initial aeronautical knowledge" test criteria.

Becoming a Pilot

Sounds very reasonable..

Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge test – initial knowledge test areas include:
Applicable regulations relating to small unmanned aircraft system rating privileges, limitations, and flight operation
Airspace classification and operating requirements, and flight restrictions affecting small unmanned aircraft operation
Aviation weather sources and effects of weather on small unmanned aircraft performance
Small unmanned aircraft loading and performance
Emergency procedures
Crew resource management
Radio communication procedures
Determining the performance of small unmanned aircraft
Physiological effects of drugs and alcohol
Aeronautical decision-making and judgment
Airport operations
Maintenance and preflight inspection procedures
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:31 AM   #5
Wrangler

Very reasonable and not a huge cost burden. The testing will cost $150. I don't know if that price is set by FAA, or if the designated testing facilities can set their own price. However, $150 is what the document above showed as the cost analysis.

The testing won't be available until August when the rules go into effect, so you have some time to study while waiting.

Also of note, if you are a licensed airman with a current BFR, you can take an online version which will only deal with specifics of sUAS operations as it's assumed that you already have knowledge of airspace types and operating requirements, weather, weight and balance, etc. That's also very reasonable.

-gb-
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:52 AM   #6
Trustee

What am I supposed to be studying?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #7
Trustee

Is the answer so painfully clear that nobody answered, or does no one else know either?
Old June 27th, 2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Trustee

Taking a look at the list of topics in the link I posted, to me this sounds a lot like a written drivers license test. Depending on how the FAA want to play this, it could be as simple as reading a 100 page "Drone Pilot's Handbook" with a test at an approved facility. Or it could mean a half day course that walks you through said handbook, followed by the test.

It really sounds like a basic safety test and I can't imagine anyone would need months to study for it.

But no....you're right...at this point, nobody knows.
Old June 27th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Trustee

Also, I'm curious to hear interpretations of not flying over people "not directly involved in the operation". I shoot a lot of marathons and half marathons. I'm employed by the race organizer. If there are 10,000 people running, are they involved in the operation? If there are another 20,000 spectators, are they directly involved?
Old June 27th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Wrangler

I have already taken the Part 107 online test. Easy to pass. For Part 61 pilots who are current, this is all you need to do for now. In 60 days, when the RPC with sUAS rating application form becomes available, that's all the testing you will need.

The online test is also good practice for those who are not current or are not licensed pilots. Those individuals will need to go to a testing center to take the extended test which will cover airspace types, chart reading, etc.

There is no charge for taking the online test.

-gb-
Old June 27th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Also, I'm curious to hear interpretations of not flying over people "not directly involved in the operation". I shoot a lot of marathons and half marathons. I'm employed by the race organizer. If there are 10,000 people running, are they involved in the operation? If there are another 20,000 spectators, are they directly involved?
I know its dangerous to speculate but...

almost certainly not OK. At least, not flying directly overhead.

Here, the danger would be that the crowds (both running and not) aren't paying attention to or possibly even not aware of your drone, which I'm sure would be the standard. By flying directly over them, they're at risk.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post

Here, the danger would be that the crowds (both running and not) aren't paying attention to or possibly even not aware of your drone, which I'm sure would be the standard. By flying directly over them, they're at risk.
Safety issues, notwithstanding, I think it makes for a poor shot composition to shoot straight down on most types of subjects. Being off to the side and tracking along would be much better... and safer for all involved.

-gb-
Old July 6th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post

I get what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree. I used that example because it's huge. The opposite example would be if a single runner hired me to shoot video of him - flying over him would obviously be ok, as he's "directly involved" with the production. The grey area, everything in between, is more where I wonder what "directly involved" is. The runner and his family, again probably obviously ok. I shoot corporate video - so flying over 5 guys working in a yard, again, probably ok. What about 100 people at a company picnic? Directly involved seems to wane. Similarly with flying directly over people who are uninvolved. What's "over"? Like if I lost power it would hit them? Is 3 feet OK? 30 feet?

As Greg mentions, it's never these angles that I'm taking shots from... If I'm doing aerial ops, I'm off to the side and (usually) moving. But to get there... gotta fly over people.
Old July 8th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #14
Major Player

So it is not allowed to fly a small 5lb radio control model airplane over people because if they get cut, its unsafe, but it is ok and safe to fly a 3000 lb jet engine powered helicopter with high speed whirling blades of death?

Yes, this makes total sense.
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #15
Trustee

If you follow the same maintenance procedures as a $1M helicopter, file for an FAA exemption. Fly wherever you want. If you're buying a DJI drone that uses $18 motors... don't hover over people.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras