Drone Issue - Diagnostic Help Requested at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old July 12th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Drone Issue - Diagnostic Help Requested

I'm a long-time DP, but new to the drone world. Occasionally I am getting what I called "warbled" video out of my drone - a Phantom 3 Standard that I purchased used from B&H.

You can see what I mean in this clip here - particularly if you pay attention to the tree on the left side of the clip, around 2-3 seconds into the video...

Any ideas what would be causing this? I'm clueless and not sure if it's something I can fix or have fixed with the equipment - gimbal/propellors out of balance, etc.? or something that's going on internally inside the camera... It seems to be an intermittent problem.
Carrie Cannaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Drone Issue - Diagnostic Help Requested

This is rolling shutter and caused by a vibration problem. While you could drive yourself crazy trying to fix this minuscule bit of vibration during flight, the best way to fix the resulting issue is to use an ND filter to lower your shutter speed and introduce more (good) motion blur to the footage. There are many ND filters available. Try a ND4 or ND8 for general outdoor work, or ND16 for extremely bright days.
Old July 12th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Drone Issue - Diagnostic Help Requested

Nate, thanks so much for the info. I purchased a set of ND filters for my Phantom recently so it's great to know I can put them to use for a work around. Thanks again!
Carrie Cannaday is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras