DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/534641-drone-striking-southwest-airlines-737-how-faked.html)

Donald McPherson September 7th, 2017 03:19 PM

Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked

Noa Put September 7th, 2017 03:58 PM

re: Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked

Looks fake to me

Brent Kaplan September 7th, 2017 06:54 PM

it is fake

Dave Blackhurst September 8th, 2017 01:57 AM

A special effects guy showing his "chops"... you can't always believe what you see!

Donald McPherson September 8th, 2017 04:06 AM

Had me fooled. But I could totally see this or similar happen for real in the future. But hope not.

David Barnett September 8th, 2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1936247)
Had me fooled. But I could totally see this or similar happen for real in the future. But hope not.

A drone wouldn't do anywhere near that amount of damage. Planes are going about 200mph on landing, what do drones max at, 25mph. Let alone mass, strength of build & momentum.

Yeah, its possible some idiot might try flying nearby an airport. I think you're not allowed to within 5 miles, a friend told me his drone (DJI?) won't even take off if its in a no fly zone, just give an error message. I'm surprised tho no drones have crashed on highways and caused accidents. You really do realize how dangerous they can be.

Jeff Pulera September 8th, 2017 01:11 PM

How the video was built -

Regarding realism - with the jet traveling a minimum of 100+ mph, we wouldn't actually see the drone enter the picture over several frames, would just be a streak and gone.

Gary Huff September 9th, 2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Barnett (Post 1936260)
I'm surprised tho no drones have crashed on highways and caused accidents. You really do realize how dangerous they can be.

How dangerous they can be? And yet you're surprised that no drones have crashed on highways and caused accidents?

First, depends on what kind of a drone you're talking about. A Mavic falling into a highway probably wouldn't cause much damage. Most of that would be from someone overreacting to having something hit them and driving into other cars. A Phantom a little bit more so, but not that much. Those are the two most popular sizes of drones. An Inspire and an Octocopter can definitely do damage, but you rarely see those, and the price usually keeps them out of reach from the knuckleheads.

As someone who does a lot of driving, a drone over the highway is not even something I'm looking out for.

Chris Hurd September 9th, 2017 05:21 PM

Re: Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked

Thread title changed...

was: Can clearly see drone hit plane.

now: Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked

Donald McPherson September 10th, 2017 06:00 AM

Thanks, Chris. I should have done a bit of research before I posted my fake news. But you must admit. To the untrained eye, it was well done.

Gary Huff September 10th, 2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1936305)
To the untrained eye, it was well done.

There's also an element of confirmation bias. You believe drones are dangerous, therefore video showing a drone taking off the tip of a wing rings true to you. It looks good, yes, but no, a Phantom drone will not cause that kind of damage. The drone would be shattered, and probably scrape up the paint on the plane.

David Barnett September 11th, 2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Huff (Post 1936278)
How dangerous they can be? And yet you're surprised that no drones have crashed on highways and caused accidents?

First, depends on what kind of a drone you're talking about. A Mavic falling into a highway probably wouldn't cause much damage. Most of that would be from someone overreacting to having something hit them and driving into other cars. A Phantom a little bit more so, but not that much. Those are the two most popular sizes of drones. An Inspire and an Octocopter can definitely do damage, but you rarely see those, and the price usually keeps them out of reach from the knuckleheads.

As someone who does a lot of driving, a drone over the highway is not even something I'm looking out for.

I guess I was referring to driving down the road/highway & all is fine at 50mph, then suddenly this plastic thing lands right in front of you. Completely surprised & caught off guard, you swerve to avoid. Sure, its not very likely to happen, and drones don't crash often, but it only takes once.

I'm aware a small 10 lb drone wouldn't typically do much damage to an automobile, but I was more referring to drivers swerving (rightfully so) to avoid whatever it is that landed on them. Think of traffic on I-95 or something.

Jeff Pulera September 11th, 2017 02:41 PM

"a small 10 lb drone wouldn't typically do much damage to an automobile"

"A Mavic falling into a highway probably wouldn't cause much damage"

Surprised at the comments inferring that a drone strike to a car wouldn't do much damage. I recently caught a rock to the windshield and it almost broke all the way through. A drone weighing several pounds with a NiCad battery brick at 70+ MPH? No thank you sir.

Regards,

Gary Huff September 11th, 2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera (Post 1936344)
drone weighing several pounds with a NiCad battery brick at 70+ MPH? No thank you sir.

You apparently don't have any experience with these devices if you think a Mavic or even a Phantom weighs "several pounds".

Plus, most of the time you notice a rock is when it hits your windshield. Given the nature of a drone, hitting your windshield is odds I'd be willing to play. A rock kicked up from the ground by a truck or other vehicle is far more concerning.

Paul Reeber September 19th, 2017 05:37 PM

Planes are designed to take bird strikes and they are much denser than drone. I don't think a drone could do any significant damage.

Jad Meouchy September 23rd, 2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera (Post 1936344)
Surprised at the comments inferring that a drone strike to a car wouldn't do much damage. I recently caught a rock to the windshield and it almost broke all the way through. A drone weighing several pounds with a NiCad battery brick at 70+ MPH? No thank you sir.

Rock vs. Drone .... winner is always Rock

I'm definitely more worried about the rock hitting my windshield!

Mark Watson September 23rd, 2017 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A drone going into a jet engine might cause enough damage to endanger the flight. Something as dense as the battery could break off a part of a fan blade, which then rattles through the successive stages of the fan and compressor, breaking off more pieces of blades, so you get a growing path of damage. It would have to be a lucky hit, given the size of those engines and what they're designed to withstand.

I've seen what a flock of birds can do to a smaller jet engine in a fighter jet. Down in Australia, a jet was taking off or landing, don't remember which now, but it hit about 8 large black birds, like crows. Engine was severely damaged as were parts of the airframe. Pics show the engine blades torn, bent and twisted and pieces broken off. The wing pylon was crushed in, popping several rivets. All from just some birds.
Of course, it being Australia, naturally those were some badass birds, wearing spiked collars and sporting tattoos.

John Nantz September 23rd, 2017 12:27 PM

Talk about a rock hitting a windshield ...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Huff (Post 1936345)
Plus, most of the time you notice a rock is when it hits your windshield. Given the nature of a drone, hitting your windshield is odds I'd be willing to play. A rock kicked up from the ground by a truck or other vehicle is far more concerning.

That is for sure. I just recently experienced this. Going past a highway construction project, probably doing all of maybe 20 mph or so, a dump truck that had just left the construction site was traveling the opposite direction and a small rock, maybe 3/4 of an inch (~ 2 cm to some others) hit the windshield just about eye height sending chards of glass toward me. Had I not been wearing sunglasses it could have been much worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Reeber (Post 1936611)
Planes are designed to take bird strikes and they are much denser than drone.

Having flown into a GA airport near a bird refuge I can tell you that even at slow approach speeds bird strikes cause damage. I was always leery of the approach and the takeoff until I left the area.

There have been incidents of birds flying through the windshield and into the cockpit - and we're talking more than just feathers (blood and guts). This can cause major disruption to the person trying to fly the plane, not to mention all the wind, especially if it is a single engine plane with the prop up front!

John Wiley October 8th, 2017 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Watson (Post 1936700)
A drone going into a jet engine might cause enough damage to endanger the flight. Something as dense as the battery could break off a part of a fan blade, which then rattles through the successive stages of the fan and compressor, breaking off more pieces of blades, so you get a growing path of damage. It would have to be a lucky hit, given the size of those engines and what they're designed to withstand.

Not to mention what can go wrong with a lithium-ion battery. They don't even let those into your checked baggage due to their possible explosive nature. I definitely don't think you want a potentially explosive object passing through a jet engine at 200mph.

Come to think of it, I don't really want a potentially explosive object falling onto the highway in front of me, or worse, onto my windshield, at terminal velocity either.

Gary Huff October 8th, 2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1937211)
I definitely don't think you want a potentially explosive object passing through a jet engine at 200mph.

It sounds like you believe lithium ion batteries actually “explode” like in the kinds of explosions you see in movies and on TV. That’s not exactly what they do when ruptured. They emit fumes and can cause fires, they don’t actually “explode” unless you are overcharging it, which means taking the battery out of its housing and connecting a power source directly to it.

Donald McPherson October 8th, 2017 01:00 PM

Whatever they do. I don't want one coming through the windscreen or a plane engine I'm in.

Gary Huff October 8th, 2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1937226)
Whatever they do. I don't want one coming through the windscreen or a plane engine I'm in.

The odds that will happen to you are astronomical.

John Wiley October 8th, 2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Huff (Post 1937217)
It sounds like you believe lithium ion batteries actually “explode” like in the kinds of explosions you see in movies and on TV. That’s not exactly what they do when ruptured. They emit fumes and can cause fires, they don’t actually “explode” unless you are overcharging it, which means taking the battery out of its housing and connecting a power source directly to it.

I'm a film-maker.

If I didn't believe everything in our world explodes on impact then I wouldn't be able to do my job.

Donald McPherson October 9th, 2017 12:01 AM

Probably more chance of being hit on the head by lightning.

Gary Huff October 9th, 2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1937235)
Probably more chance of being hit on the head by lightning.

You're actually more likely to be murdered than you have of your airplane getting hit by a drone.

Tim Ribich November 3rd, 2017 01:18 PM

What Really Happens When a Drone Strikes an Airplane

Quote:

Planes are designed to take bird strikes and they are much denser than drone. I don't think a drone could do any significant damage.

>>Drones are made of materials much denser and stiffer than soft tissues and muscles of geese and other airborne animals. Simulations show that when a bird goes into an engine, it's essentially liquidized by spinning blades, like a macabre episode of "Will It Blend." Not so with a drone.<<

What Really Happens When a Drone Strikes an Airplane

Gary Huff November 3rd, 2017 08:11 PM

Of course, it’s helpful to know that the drone in question from that study is 8lbs and a design that is being conceived to deliver packages, not the typical Mavics and Phantoms (2-3lbs). According to the article that the simulation video is sourced from:

Quote:

This is the drone size that one European country has sanctioned for their postal services to deliver packages to high altitudes. The work is not based on any organization’s request. We are able to model a variety of different drone sizes and models. We chose this model as a demonstrator, because it was one of the larger size commercial drones available that is capable of carrying large weights and reaching higher ceilings.
http://www.techenstein.com/what-happ...-surprise-you/

Noa Put November 8th, 2017 02:53 AM

Quote:

I saw below video recently, if a drone would be harmless to a plane I don't take they would take such measures to avoid it :)

Gary Huff November 8th, 2017 05:33 AM

That drone sighting was unconfirmed. I recall a similar incident where a supposed drone strike on an airplane at Heathrow turned out to be anything but, possibly even just a plastic bag.

So, yes, if you call in that you think you saw a drone near an airport, you can wreak all kinds of havoc, even though for DJI drones, those are no-fly areas with their software.

Chuck Spaulding November 12th, 2017 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1938270)
I saw below video recently, if a drone would be harmless to a plane I don't take they would take such measures to avoid it :)

https://youtu.be/SdfVIdsufI8

This is a solution in search of a problem.

Donald McPherson November 30th, 2017 07:46 AM

Posted in local news paper.
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/new...es-than-birds/

Brian Drysdale December 18th, 2017 12:57 PM

Just repeating, damage may depend on if they enter the engine. There are hard parts in a drone, which, if not bringing down the plane, can cause expensive damage to fan blades etc.

Brian Drysdale December 20th, 2018 07:31 AM

You don;t need to hit an aircraft to cause damage, as can be seen by the effect of drone(s) entering the airspace of an airport in holiday season :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

Gary Huff December 20th, 2018 08:21 AM

"Damage" in this case used rather loosely.

Brian Drysdale December 20th, 2018 11:27 AM

It depends on how you define "damage", it's certainly not going to be cheap in financial terms or "damages" as referred to in legal terms..

John Nantz December 20th, 2018 11:33 AM

Gary - damage is probably used loosely. "damage" should have been in all upper case, as in DAMAGE!

According to one dictionary definition:
The Damage | Definition of The Damage by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/the%20damage
Definition of the damage. informal. : the amount of money that something costs "What's the damage?" he asked, pulling out his wallet.

From the BBC:
110,000 passengers due to arrive or depart on Thursday
760 flights due to arrive or depart on Thursday
10,000 passengers affected on Wednesday
2.9 million (make that MILLION) total passengers due to pass through over Christmas New Year

How can one put a dollar (or Pound) value on that?
Just about everyone is flying for some purpose: wedding, attend a funeral, business trip, one of their only vacations in the year, etc. Then there is the cost of lodging reservations, vacation bookings, business deals (perhaps some critical), etc. What about someone flying because they have to take an exam?

Taxi cabs charging £600 for stranded passengers that have to get somewhere ...
Then there is the added cost for businesses like credit card companies, hotels, etc that have to deal with adjustments...

So, while 'damage' (physical) wasn't done, there was an enormous amount of financial damage. Much more than anyone of us could put a monetary value on, and all due to a drone.

Gary Huff December 20th, 2018 01:49 PM

I can definitely put a dollar/pound value on that, given the fake video that started this thread. It's far more preferable to have this situation than a plane being brought down by a drone by causing literal damage to its chassis or engine. This is annoyance and delays, not potential death and disaster.

How about that?