What are you using to convert video files for editing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old October 17th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What are you using to convert video files for editing?

I got a phantom 4 pro. I want to convert my video files to avi. What are you guys using?
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: What are you using to convert video files for editing?

.avi is just a container. What format specifically are you wanting? That said, Handbrake is probably your best bet if you're after something free.

Normally, though, you'd want to edit your files first and then export them from the editing software to the format of your choice.
Old October 18th, 2017, 02:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff,

I believe the Phantom 4 Pro films in mp4 H264/265, so it would help to know if you have a particular end destination in mind for your footage.

Do you just want to convert the raw footage into a different format to play on something that won't play the raw footage, or do you want to edit it to make a finished video? If you want to edit, as your thread heading suggests, then you don't necessarily need to convert it first unless you are using an older slower computer. Most of the currently available editing programmes should be able to read your footage as shot, allowing you to save to various formats after editing as Michael said.

If you let us have some more information on your requirements and computer system, we can probably offer more specific advice.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I thought I would give folks an update. I purchased Pavtube video converter. I was also using Adobe Premier 2017 CC to convert to AVI but I had to do it one file at a time, too time consuming. Anyways, I am pleased with Pavtube, is converting my Drone MOV 4K files which was the problem.

I am using an older version of Vegas and it prefers AVI vs MOV or MP4 which freeze up the PC. For the record I got an intel i7 chip, 8 gb of ram 64 bit.
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras