Aerial shots - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old March 29th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #16
Major Player

Depending on the perspective you want, a "skyjack" may work for you.Those are the platforms that workers use when installing/repair various height oriented projects.Some are able to extend to great heights,are safe for the crew and persons on the ground,able to be moved easily,etc.
http://www.skyjackinc.com/
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Here's a couple of other groups related to AP:

http://www.helifreak.com/forum-83.html

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/f25p1/

I think in the latter link, someone has some great footage of a Sony HC1 and he is a skilled pilot - pretty impressive.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #18
Regular Crew

This was the specific thread I was thinking of, but I don't think that the HC1.wmv file is available:

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t...?highlight=hc1
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #19
Major Player

I've been flying the Bergen Observer and recently the Bergen EB specifically built and set up for aerial videography. We use a front mount system that we fly with a FX1, HC3, and GL2. It is completely vibration isolated.

We can fly in moderate winds to 20mph without too much difficulty.
We use a 2.4ghz video downlink for the camera person to operate the 2 axis camera mount.

The helicopters are about 5.5 feet long, weigh up to 23 pounds in flight, can fly faster than you'd ever need, and are very reliable and don't drop out of the sky.

The pilot I am training with has flown for James Bond, Van Helsing, Harry Potter, and other productions. These aircraft, when utilized by a trained professional, yield footage otherwise impossible to obtain.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM   #20
Major Player

Re: Aerial shots

I just got an offer to shoot flood footage from a hot air balloon tomorrow.
I've never been in one, not even mentioning shooting from one, so do you have any tips or experience I could learn from?
Thanks!
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM   #21
Major Player

Balloons can typically be flown at pretty low altitudes so you should be able to shoot pretty wide. Nearly all flying is done near either sunrise or sunset so plan for the light. It's a very smooth and stable platform. Have fun and post some footage.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:23 AM   #22
New Boot

Some of the best stuff I've seen using an Hekacopter (electric RC heli), a stock panny GH2 and some very skilled hands:

Similar setup using a 5D MkII

Phil Sobolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:06 PM   #23
Major Player

Phil, what is the current status of these radio controlled platforms for commercial use? Are they still in a legal limbo with the FAA? (I noted that the guy posting 2 up is doing a balloon shoot and he's outside the USA so not of interest to him.)
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andris Krastins View Post
I just got an offer to shoot flood footage from a hot air balloon tomorrow.
I've never been in one, not even mentioning shooting from one, so do you have any tips or experience I could learn from?
Thanks!
Before taking off, talking with everyone that will be in the balloon about holding still at times. The basket can be very wobbly (not scary wobbly, just that the movement of people shifting their feet can be transferred to your camera).

The best shots are in close proximity to the ground. From ground level on up to a couple of hundred feet. When you get up several hundred feet, everything looks pretty static and the effect is somewhat lost, although still aerial.

I've shot handheld once, and with a tripod another time. Definitely got tons of good stuff using the tripod, and asking the others (only 3 of us) to hold still at times...perfectly still...

Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:35 PM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Phil, what is the current status of these radio controlled platforms for commercial use? Are they still in a legal limbo with the FAA? (I noted that the guy posting 2 up is doing a balloon shoot and he's outside the USA so not of interest to him.)

Jim - Not sure about that one. Just really in research phase of this stuff. Just getting into flying the small RC heli's for practice now. The two guys around here that have the proper gear for this type of shooting mainly do smaller productions and the shooting is usually in semi-remote areas with virtually nobody around. So they seem to operate on the "don't ask, don't tell" method.Booking heli time is super expensive around these parts ($1000 - $1200 /hr) so the RC route is very interesting to me. However, much of my shooting would be over water and in 20-30 mph of trade winds. So, I'm not sure there's any other option for me personally than sitting and hanging out of a real bird. At least until Red Bull starts throwing a bunch a money at us and we can go this route:

http://www.brainfarmcinema.com/cineflex_hd.aspx
Phil Sobolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:30 PM   #26
Trustee

I liked the Element 52 video, Phil. Here is some more footage taken with the 5D and Hexacopter:

Old April 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #27
New Boot

Amazing! The more I see of what those guys are doing with these things, the more I want one!
Phil Sobolev is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras